PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo or Guzzler??

butler
02-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Sorry to ask again... But I am about to buy couple pumps.

2 guzzlers... $1300
2 shurflos.....$300

Big difference in price, is there really a big difference in performance in the 2 pumps
Looking for any recommendations or advice..

VT_K9
02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
I ran a guzzler pump (Goodrich P100) for the last 2 years. I read with great interest about the Shurflo last year. I am going to full vacuum this year.

I was very happy with the results of the guzzler and would recommend one without hesitation. We did redo our lines the second year to the criteria for regular vacuum and I think that helped.

Maybe somebody has had experience with both styles.

Mike

moonshine
02-02-2015, 06:01 AM
I just finished putting together a shur flow pump(115 vac) system that I will plumb into 30 new taps. I will let you know how this works for us. Pump is mounted in a Rubbermaid container, along with a light bulb to keep it from freezing up. Paid $79.00 plus shipping for the pump.

wildlifewarrior
02-02-2015, 07:40 AM
We ran a sure flow last year on about 30 taps and it was fantastic. For the cost we couldn't have been happier. Making sure the system is SUPER tight was key. I don't know how many taps you were thinking of putting it on, or how long the mainline would be but that would be more of a consideration in my opinion.

Good luck
Mike

Clinkis
02-02-2015, 08:00 AM
The sureflows are great pumps for smaller setups but guzzlers are more suited for larger setups. I ran a sureflow last year and was extremely pleased with results and intend on adding another this year. Also the motors on the surflows have a much shorter lifespan then the guzzlers as they are not really designed for continuous operation. For the price, the surflows are well worth it even if you have to replace it every couple years.

butler
02-02-2015, 12:59 PM
I have three 500' 3/4" mains each with approx 80-120 taps. Sounds like the shurflos worked fairly well considering there price point...

What sureflo do you guys recommend...4048 seems to be the popular vote..

S&STappers
02-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I ran a shuflo on 100 taps last year as an experiment, all 5/16" line to a manifold. Worked really well. It'll run 24 hours on a 12 volt marine battery too. Do make sure you put a filter in front of it for ice though.

butler
02-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Did you use the 4048 shurflo?

SeanD
02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
I ran a shuflo on 100 taps last year as an experiment, all 5/16" line to a manifold. Worked really well. It'll run 24 hours on a 12 volt marine battery too. Do make sure you put a filter in front of it for ice though.

Do you just swap out batteries each day and charge them for the next day? Does that drain/charge cycling do any long-term damage to the battery?

Sean

S&STappers
02-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Yes, I used 2 batteries, alternating between them. As for damage, I dont know, but didn't see any decrease in power as the season wore on. Only ran 1 completely dead once. Seldom did I need to run all night. 8-10 hours and swap batteries I think is best.

SeanD
02-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Ok, thanks. This gives me options to think about for the future.

Sean

Clinkis
02-03-2015, 05:45 PM
If you use deep cycle batteries the drain charge cycle shouldn't be an issue as that is what deep cycles are designed for. I could sometimes get 3 days out of a fully charged battery if I shut it off at night

SeanD
02-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Did you have a thermostat switch or just shut it down when you collected there that day?

rhwells2003
02-04-2015, 02:06 PM
After reading a long long topic on this subject I decided to do a shurflo this year instead of spending big bucks for a vac pump and releaser. I'm nervous that my set-up is to big for this type of pumping but I also figure I can't afford a real vac pump and releaser, so I have to imagine any kind of vacuum is better then absolutely no vacuum. I will have about 1500' of 1" mainline, 4500' of 5/16, and 400 taps. Like I said it might be a little big of a set-up but even if I only get 6" of vacuum, I figure that's better then nothing, especially for only spending $70 on a pump, and $10 on an ice filter.

So I bought the shurflow revolution 4008, and I'm going to run that on 2 deep cell batteries.

We'll see!!

Clinkis
02-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Did you have a thermostat switch or just shut it down when you collected there that day?

I would just turn it off in th evening when I collected and turn in back on in the morning before I left for work

Clinkis
02-04-2015, 03:10 PM
After reading a long long topic on this subject I decided to do a shurflo this year instead of spending big bucks for a vac pump and releaser. I'm nervous that my set-up is to big for this type of pumping but I also figure I can't afford a real vac pump and releaser, so I have to imagine any kind of vacuum is better then absolutely no vacuum. I will have about 1500' of 1" mainline, 4500' of 5/16, and 400 taps. Like I said it might be a little big of a set-up but even if I only get 6" of vacuum, I figure that's better then nothing, especially for only spending $70 on a pump, and $10 on an ice filter.

So I bought the shurflow revolution 4008, and I'm going to run that on 2 deep cell batteries.

We'll see!!
That's an awful lot for one little sureflow pump.
Is there any way you can break you pipeline up into 2 or 3 seperate systems and run 2 or 3 pumps?

rhwells2003
02-05-2015, 08:01 AM
That's an awful lot for one little sureflow pump.
Is there any way you can break you pipeline up into 2 or 3 seperate systems and run 2 or 3 pumps?

Not really, its all piped together in anticipation of a real vac pump and releaser. Money got tight so that didn't happen this year, but will happen for next year. So I figured I would just go gravity for this year. then I saw the shurflo topic and thought hell I'll buy one of those set-ups for $80 and if it helps great, if not I'll be in the same spot I woulda been with just gravity. I figure if it adds 250gal of additional sap over gravity it will pay for itself. Everything after that is just gravy ;)

Maple guy
02-05-2015, 09:14 AM
where do you get the ice filters?

Biz
02-05-2015, 10:57 AM
I bought my Shurflo pump (4008, 12V model) and strainer (p/n 255-313) on amazon.com. Will be testing it on a short run of mostly red maples, using a battery from my lawn tractor, and homemade controller to shut off and bypass pump when cold or low battery.

Dave

DaveB
02-05-2015, 11:24 AM
For either setup, how do you guys control when the pump turns on and off? I have a remote setup and can't be there every morning and night to turn it on and off, but I do check on it every day. I've seen plugs that turn on at 35° but they turn off at 45° and I'd want mine to keep going. Is there any solution out there?

VT_K9
02-05-2015, 04:13 PM
For controlling my puller I would make my plans on the weather app I use on my iPad/iPhone. I found it to be very accurate for my area. Basically I checked the lines about 7-9am every morning, maybe a couple of times. I would fill the generator and turn on the pump when it was about 30 degrees outside, maybe a little less temp with more sun, and keeping an eye on the wind. Very scientific you know... I would fuel the pump around 4 pm and then shut it off if the temps were freezing at 9pm or refuel and let it run all night if they were not going to freeze. Granted I the family sugar orchard is right out my back door and a quick ride on the four wheeler with tracks gets me to the sap shack with the puller and generator.

Mike

adk1
02-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Same here vt k9 I can see my pump from my house window! Makes it nice

DaveB
02-05-2015, 08:18 PM
I have a pump I can see from my house but I also have some remote areas and it would be nice if I could baby sit it all day but I need to go to a day job and it would be nice to just have the pump turn on when the temp is above freezing and turn off when it goes below. I'm sure others have locations that they need to drive to and it would help. There doesn't appear to be a commercial solution to do that but I have found some controllers that do that but it takes some construction like this unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2

I'm going to see what I can do and post a thread about it. If anyone has another solution that would work to automate the turning of the pump on and off I'd love to hear about it.

Maple guy
02-06-2015, 02:19 PM
do you guys think a pump like this would work?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352044_200352044

I want vacuum on my 300 taps but i don't want the price that comes with it!!

adk1
02-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Uh.. no. I have that pump to transfer sap from my main tank to my head tank. thats all it is good for.

Birddog
02-06-2015, 03:08 PM
do you guys think a pump like this would work?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352044_200352044

I want vacuum on my 300 taps but i don't want the price that comes with it!!

On the northern tool site it says this about whether it's suitable for potable water. I would think if it's not suitable for water it wouldn't be suitable for sap.
This pump would not be suitable for potable water. We do have a couple 12 volt RV pumps that would be suitable for potable water, item #109700 and 109701

adk1
02-06-2015, 03:36 PM
I must have a different model Wayne as mine indicates potable water use

GeneralStark
02-06-2015, 04:49 PM
I have a pump I can see from my house but I also have some remote areas and it would be nice if I could baby sit it all day but I need to go to a day job and it would be nice to just have the pump turn on when the temp is above freezing and turn off when it goes below. I'm sure others have locations that they need to drive to and it would help. There doesn't appear to be a commercial solution to do that but I have found some controllers that do that but it takes some construction like this unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2

I'm going to see what I can do and post a thread about it. If anyone has another solution that would work to automate the turning of the pump on and off I'd love to hear about it.

WEMO it!

http://www.wemothat.com/products.html

butler
02-07-2015, 01:53 PM
So I have decided to try shurflo this year... Next question..
4048 or 4008... Big difference in price .. Is there a significant difference in performance?

DaveB
02-18-2015, 12:49 PM
WEMO it!

http://www.wemothat.com/products.html

That actually might be a viable option. I forgot about those. I'd have to manually turn it on/off but I can do that remotely. I can also extend WiFi to where the plug is so it should work. I have a couple of weeks and we'll see how it goes.

wnybassman
02-23-2015, 04:41 PM
I have a couple Shur-Flo 2088-554-144 pumps. Has anybody else had any problem with the threads? I have some 1/2" NPT to 3/8" NPT reducer fittings but all they want to do is cross thread. These pumps are 1/2" NPT aren't they?

wnybassman
02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Never mind. I see the fittings I got are NPTF.

butler
03-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Anyone using one of these pumps this year ?

kiteflyingeek
03-03-2015, 11:59 PM
I'm using one for the first time. I have about 10 taps in a remote location (possible to add another 10 or so). Here in SW Indiana, we FINALLY went above freezing and I got about 20 gallons out of those 10 taps. The pump was running most of the time; shut it down last night since it got below 30*F and I had to charge the battery.

High today was 50 or 52. Going down to 15 tomorrow night. It's been raining on/off all day -- getting pretty muddy out there.

--andrew

butler
03-04-2015, 06:06 AM
How do you like the pump so far... What kind of vacuum are you getting ?

Biz
03-04-2015, 07:27 AM
I bought a 4008 over the winter. It only pulls 10" when testing in the house, no flow, but you can feel really good suction if you put your finger over the hose - for whatever that is worth. So I am optimistic. I am going to test it on a maple behind my house with 2 taps this weekend. Then it will go in the woods on a 5/16 line next week. Will post updates.

And yeah, the plastic NPT threads are easy to cross thread, just need to be careful.

Dave

Atgreene
03-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Just curious, on larger operations, what if you ran two in series, one through the other? Two side by side would work as well, but I'm curious about in series.