PDA

View Full Version : Transmission troubles with my Ford 3000- Any gearhead advice?

Goggleeye
01-31-2015, 10:45 PM
The transmission on my sap hauler, a 1972? Ford 3000, is acting up. When I shift into 3rd gear, high or low range, it won't take off, and I really have to force it back out of the gear, and it seems like it never fully went in gear. Other gears seem to work OK. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, except when it comes to transmissions - no experience here whatsoever. Any ideas what could be causing the problems, is this a fix I could make, or is it time to send it to the shop?

buckeye gold
02-01-2015, 05:16 AM
Goggleeye, I run a 68 Ford 3000 for a sap hauler. I'm not sure what's happening on yours with only the one gear. I had a shifting problem once and it was the pin and gear selector on top just under the shifter cover was worn. Have you tried pushing down on the shifter as you select third gear. Fourth is hard on mine and goes in easier if I push down on the shifter. If the pin or bracket is worn it will need replaced, but that would be your easiest fix. Remove your cover and you will be able to see the selector, pin and gears and get an idea. You could also drain some fluid and see if you have metal shavings. I am a poor mechanic but thought I'd offer you something to look for.

BAP
02-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Googleye, try going on to www.tractorbynet.com a forum for tractors and implements. There is a thread for asking questions about repairing and parts. Post your question there as there is a lot of knowledgeable people on there who might be able to give you some more advice. Sounds like maybe the 3rd gear is not fully engaging. You probably will need to take the cover off to see what is going on.

BreezyHill
02-01-2015, 07:05 AM
I have a 5000 and on top of the tranny is a plate with the gear shifter. Hand full of bolts and you can look right at the top of the gear set. You may have a bent fork on the shifter that is allowing to pu it in the opposite gear on the pattern but not the issue location. Or could be a stripped gear. That would be unusual to have stripped all the teeth on a gear. Usually it is on or two broken off and it makes a bad noise. You can check this by putting the tractor on an incline that it will roll on and put into the gear in question and let the tractor roll ahead and and try the clutch, then roll ahead a little more and retry the clutch. If this is what it is you will find a spot that the tractor stars to move then does not.

Good Luck!

Ben

WESTMAPLES
02-01-2015, 07:34 AM
i would bet you have a bent shift fork if its only the one gear , ive bent a handfull of shift forks in gm sm465 trans it usaully happened to me when i was pulling my 7 ton dump trailer loaded, trying to pull it into the next gear and not making the complete shift before i let the clutch out or if i was power shifting and it would shoot out of gear most of the time i would just take a top cover from another trans and install it and i would be back in moition my grandfathers ( now the family farms) ford 4000 industrial tractor pops out of reverse and 3rd gear sometimes and the rearend makes a funny clicking noise when backing up in hi or under a load. i have never done more than changed the fliud ( never found metal anything) because im into iH equipment and my younger relatives just use it, leave it out in the rain, and beat on it.

Goggleeye
02-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I don't think I've stripped any gears or done any major damage, as I was able to move it around to unload sap today in the driveway, even used 3rd gear, and it didn't act up. I'm going to try to get after this week. Have to have my sap hauler working!

Goggleeye
02-01-2015, 10:27 PM
trying to pull it into the next gear and not making the complete shift before i let the clutch out or if i was power shifting and it would shoot out of gear

I'm definitely guilty of that. I'm real bad to try to make a quick shift.

nymapleguy607
02-02-2015, 05:16 AM
It really sounds like the gear just isn't meshing, I've had that happen quite a bit with our tractors, usually just have to let out on the clutch slightly and it will drop right into gear.

buckeye gold
02-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Bet it will be ok now Goggleeye. When you was short shifting you most likely got the pin and shift ball slightly out of line. My 3000 will do that and fall back or I just remove the cover and manually realign it.

Goggleeye
03-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Bet it will be ok now Goggleeye. When you was short shifting you most likely got the pin and shift ball slightly out of line. My 3000 will do that and fall back or I just remove the cover and manually realign it.

Must have been the case. Whatever it was it seems to have fixed itself. All the gears looked fine, no metal shavings anywhere, but the fluid had water in it - but to be honest, I don't know the last time it was changed. So, changed the fluid, and am making sure I shift more careful, and had no problems so far.

Goggleeye
01-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Another update on the tractor - finally.
The shifter was just plain worn out. Took the cover off and saw wear on top of 1st and 3rd shift fork guides, as well as on the top of the spring pin that allows it to go into 4th. Long story short - bought a new shift assembly for $100 and it shifts great. Also bit the bullet and put on an alternator conversion kit. Was tired of having to replace the regulator every year.