PDA

View Full Version : Welds on pans

tonka
01-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Do the fabricators who make pans use filler rods or do they just do a fusion weld when welding flue pans?

Waynehere
01-31-2015, 09:39 PM
I asked Jim from Smoky Lake Maple Products the same question and he uses filler rod.

Mark
02-01-2015, 12:11 AM
I have watched pans being welded at the factory and it was mainly fusion and only filler where needed in tough spots like the top corners. It is much faster and you are putting heat in a smaller area than when adding filler. They don't back purge so you fuse and try not to blacken the back side too much. I have made pans and back purge everything but it takes more time setting up.

tonka
02-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys for the response, wasn't sure if anyone would comment. I literally only have a few days worth of tig welding under my belt and been having troubles with being consistent with the filler rod, think I should have went with 1/16th filler instead of 3/32, did a couple fusion welds and holy crap did they turn out nice, was a bit worried not knowing if the fusion weld would be strong enough when it comes to the intense heat from the fire.

Mark
02-01-2015, 10:52 AM
It all comes down to fit with no gaps. If I can I have one side slightly long which adds extra metal for the weld. I clamp everything with aluminum angles and strips that will act as a heat sink. I clamp the angle on the inside corner and the strips on the outside. I have some very long vice grips and c clamps. The angle has the corner filed off and a hole drilled through so I can slide a copper tube into it for an argon back purge.