PDA

View Full Version : SP-22 gas motor size

jrmaple
01-31-2015, 08:59 AM
Posting for a friend, what size gas motor is needed for a Surge SP-22? Some people have told him that you don't need a moisture trap if you have the balance tank, but do you guys still recommend a moisture trap? So what gas motor should he get and how should he idle it? Thanks

tuckermtn
01-31-2015, 10:22 AM
i have a 6.5hp subaru motor on my sp-22. i do have a moisture trap - wouldn't go without one. i run mine just above idle. small pulley on motor, stock 12" pulley on pump.

jrmaple
01-31-2015, 11:02 AM
It should be a three inch pulley on the motor and 12 inch on the pump right? And what type of oil do you guys use in your pumps? I've heard that some use a thicker oiler to keep it cooler, and others say only use vacuum oil from tractor supply or a dealer? And how many HG do you pull on how many taps? Thanks.

wiam
01-31-2015, 12:00 PM
I ran 2-2" pulleys when I had a 5hp on mine. Remember a gas engine turns a lot faster than stock electric.

BreezyHill
01-31-2015, 03:37 PM
top rpm of the sp-22 is in the 480 rpm area as I recall. If the unit is on a balance tank and the tank is drained daily then I would not bother with an additional one; unless you make one that has a swing check to dump every time the vac is shut down. The balance tank on the 22 is like 10 gallons. Some of them even had an automatic moisture dump on the bottom. They needed cleaning couple times a year to work well but saves a lot of hassle when working right.

Good vac oil and that is a great unit with gas motor size of not less than 5 hp to keep from over speeding the pump. Run her to fast and she wont last as long.

jrmaple
01-31-2015, 06:11 PM
So what pulley size should be on the motor is it is the stock 12" pulley on the pump? Thanks for the help guys

BreezyHill
02-01-2015, 07:32 AM
So what pulley size should be on the motor is it is the stock 12" pulley on the pump? Thanks for the help guys

I would get the smallest pulley you could fit on your shaft and then adjust speed to meet the 480 rpm. If you are running a mechanical releaser it is no issue to have motor running slow but if you are charging and using the motor to make power for an electric releaser, lights for night time sap pickup, etc then you will want alittle more speed for the power.

jrmaple
02-04-2015, 04:15 PM
I believe this SP-22 has the automatic moisture dump at the base of the balance tank (is it just a flap that covers a pipe that comes out of the base of the tank and seals when the vacuum is on?) Can I take the balance tank off if I have a moisture trap???? I'm afraid the balance tank might be leaking thats the only reason I might want to take it off and run the vacuum line to the moisture trap than to the releaser? Thanks