PDA

View Full Version : tapping mid Mi.

sugar daddy 1
01-30-2015, 09:13 AM
With a little milder winter than last yr. I am going out on a limb (pun intended) we'll be tapping around 2-25-15. I think it's going to be a good season.

steel tap syrup
01-31-2015, 07:46 AM
I hope your right, I'm starting to get sugar fever!!!!!!

Flatlader
02-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Hope you are right. I'm heading up to Mason this weekend to pick up a few things i want for this season. Weather has been better this year than last but we got 2 feet of snow Sunday so I think everything except my 4 wheeler with the plow has slowed down.

austin357
02-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Its only my second year and i have been excited for over a month now cant wait to get started

Forrest hunters
02-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Can't wait. Have my new 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator and pan set on order. Blower, and sealed front. Just have to insulate the fire box and figure a way to level easily as I had it put on casters to move in and out of garage this year. Next year hopefully have a permanent home in a new pole barn for it.

Now all I need is 100 more taps and a couple storage barrels and make up a 100 more sap bag holders. Anyone have 50-100 maples in Rockford? Plan to tap just after 3-1

Sam Caruth
02-06-2015, 02:20 PM
I am making a run over to Mason tomorrow to pick up some stuff. More taps, bottles, cream containers, tubing, Now just need to lease the rest of the trees I need. I am hoping for a great season! Goal of 10 gallons.

sugar daddy 1
02-06-2015, 07:04 PM
This will be our families 104 year making syrup.

rayi
02-07-2015, 09:40 AM
I was at Mason last week. Talked to them about tapping the second week in Feb. They all agreed it was too early. Maybe some syrup but you will miss out on the big runs becasue the taps will be old

Jonnyp390
02-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Sugar Daddy 1, I think your prediction still looks pretty good. Looks like no warm up is in sight for 2 weeks or so. The excited little kid in me wants to start yesterday, but I still have a lot of work to do to get ready. Right now I am finishing up a copper drop tube steam pan for my barrel evapaporator, so I will post pics when I am done.

Any body heard from DonMcJr? I always enjoyed reading his contributions.

austin357
02-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Nothin from don yet i enjoyed reading his posts last year to hes not far from me cant wait to get things started this year

Don(MI)
02-11-2015, 11:24 AM
I can't wait either!!!

These last couple days even though they have been in the mid 20's temp, have me thinkin. Gonna wander over to the sugarbush hopefully this coming saturday and start the annual 'What do we have, what do we need, and what needs fixin?' Start opening up shop maybe and take inventory!!

My guess is best case, we are 2-3 weeks away from tapping. Could be later though...

maple milker
02-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Recent accuweather predictions are for the cold weather to continue well into mid-March. Although I don't have much confidence beyond 2 weeks with them. It's been plenty warm out West. It just needs to move this way!

sugar daddy 1
02-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Well I guess my prediction is a bit off. Just a waiting game now.

Jonnyp390
02-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Sugardaddy1, compared to your records, is a March 1st start considered late or is it about average? Also, if we get a later than normal start, does that typically shorten the season or just bump it back a bit? I think I'll tap next weekend with hopes that the warm up will come March 1st.

sugar daddy 1
02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Sugardaddy1, compared to your records, is a March 1st start considered late or is it about average? Also, if we get a later than normal start, does that typically shorten the season or just bump it back a bit? I think I'll tap next weekend with hopes that the warm up will come March 1st.

March 1st is about average. A late start dose make a for a shorter season, due to the length of days. 80% of the syrup made in mid Mi. Between March 10th and the 20th. Last year we made our last syrup April 12 th.

I don't like to tap frozen trees, lots of guys do , it's just me. With my crews we can tap in 3-4 days. With the severe cold we have, it will take a few days to warm up the trees to run.

Spartazoo
02-24-2015, 08:23 AM
If the weather forecast is anywhere near accurate, we won't even start tapping until mid March. What a brutal stretch of weather!