PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch main line

PACMAN
01-29-2015, 11:15 AM
I was just talking to a local producer about running a new line system in my bush for next season and he told me not to use a duel line system. He said to use a 3 inch mainline with 1 inch lats and it will out perform a duel line system. I am going to see one of his systems Sunday and then we are going up to look at mine. What are your thoughts. Dr. Tim,feel free to put in your input.

GeneralStark
01-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Depends on many factors. How many taps? Slope? Length of Mainlines? Etc...Every situation is different but a 3" conductor could certainly be used instead of a wet/dry combination in the right conditions.

DrTimPerkins
01-29-2015, 11:55 AM
I was just talking to a local producer about running a new line system in my bush for next season and he told me not to use a duel line system. He said to use a 3 inch mainline with 1 inch lats and it will out perform a duel line system. I am going to see one of his systems Sunday and then we are going up to look at mine. What are your thoughts. Dr. Tim,feel free to put in your input.

Both approaches could work, but generally dual-line systems are thought to be superior in some ways and are associated with about a 10% increase in sap yields.

markct
01-29-2015, 02:41 PM
2 one inch mainlines are alot cheaper and easier to install than 3 inch and alot more damage resistant. Plus way more fittings available

PACMAN
01-29-2015, 03:01 PM
He said it would out perform a duel line system. And as far as fittings,I would only be putting reducing tees for one inch lats with 5/16 coming off of that.The total length of the main line would be 2680 ft.,and the total drop from the top of the bush to the bottom is 140 ft.Its all new to me,and they swear by it.As far as taps, I would say maybe 5000 by the time I am done.

PACMAN
01-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Next thing is,where would one find 3 inch tubing?

Wanabe1972
01-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Holy crap the sap I collect yearly would only fill that pipe once and if it ever filled up it would be like 3 and a 1/2 ton of sap. I think I'll stay on the porch!! Lol

markcasper
01-30-2015, 01:45 AM
What happens when the lower 1/2 freezes solid? and this happens morning after morning after morning?

PARKER MAPLE
01-30-2015, 04:08 AM
Schd 40?
I've seen a lot of it in the woods in Maine

GeneralStark
01-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Looks like there is already a thread about what to use for 3" pipe:

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?17778-3-quot-Mainline&highlight=ipl+fusion

This is the state of the art for large pipe:

http://www.versaprofiles.com/en/products/file/versapipe-fusion/24

There are a couple large operations in this area with some 3" in the woods and they have used bell end pvc. Now, they don't use anything larger than 2" and just split up their runs.

JoeJ
01-30-2015, 08:07 AM
I used 3" SDR 26 for the first 540' of dryline when I set up my new 2100 tap woods in 2013. I wanted to ensure maximum vacuum transfer to where the first taps were. The CFM's from my 60 CFM pump drop only 3 in the first 540' instead of 17 if I had used 2" pipe. I will agree with Markct that the 3" is much more difficult to install than 2". I still posted the 3" every 10' anyway, the same as 2" or 1 1/2". I can't imagine how difficult installing sch 40 PVC would be. I was at Scott Wheeler's sugarbush in Jackman Maine in 2013 and he had used 3" PVC for some mainlines about 10' in the air and he said that it was quite a job installing it. He has a UTube video "Wheelers Sugarbush Pump House" showing the install at the vacuum shed. I did not get a chance to ask him how he handles what I consider the bigger problem with rigid PVC pipe and that is expansion and contraction. In my woods, 800' of 2" SDR 26 moves 10-11" between -20* and 95*. I installed 2" tigerflex as an expansion / contraction joint every 800'. It works good. As far a tree falling damage, must be lucky. In 18 months, not a single tree has landed on the 2,800' of PVC wet/dry line.

PACMAN
01-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Generalstark it is rapitubing that the producer is talking about. As far as freezing, the lower half will not freeze as the 3 inch pipe would not be full.My bush is very steep and draining the pipe is not a problem. I never have had the 1000 ft, of 1 inch that I have now ever freeze because there is nothing left in it to freeze.The last 2 years anyway.

Moser's Maple
01-30-2015, 02:04 PM
pacman get a hold of Mike Parker at Parkers Family Maple in Chazy, NY. I know they put in some 3" fusion pipe a few years ago. I also believe Mike Bennett did the install for them, but if use the link and contact them I bet they can lead you in the right direction. Also was interesting in the other thread that Jason said maybe do mulitple runs of 1.5" and I know Jason does quite a few installs so that may be an option you want to pursue
http://www.parkerfamilymaple.com/

J. hutchins
01-30-2015, 03:46 PM
I have a 3'' versa pipe line and it is a bear to work with. you will want to use cable to hang it. triple stranded 9 ga high tensile is not enough with posts every 15 ft. the thermal contraction will snap 9 ga high tensile from the anchor to the tension grip. but it moves air like crazy, i have it pulling air from 7 wet dry systems. If using versa buy the sticks, I can't imagine hanging the coils.

Thinking about it a little bit more, I would probably just run a double 2'' easy to put up easy to maintain compared to 3''. 2'' has every fitting imaginable readily available, but opinions are like … everybody has got one.

PACMAN
01-30-2015, 04:12 PM
I think your right J. hutchins. I watched the video of them putting it together and that means you have to buy the tool to do it. I mean what if it does break? Do you call someone to come fix it? I have to talk to the guy sunday and I will let everyone know how it turns out.