PDA

View Full Version : Pump sap from storage to head tank

foursapsyrup1
01-29-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm looking to pump sap from our storage tank at the bottom of the ridge to our head tank ( 500 feet with a 50 foot rise in elevation). The sugar shack is at the top of the hill - didn't have any choice.
I do not have any electricity at the storage tank and would probably have to use a gas powered pump. Any suggestions on what pump I should be looking into??

Maplewalnut
01-29-2015, 10:50 AM
I use a honda wx10 I believe is the model number. I pump 40 yards maybe 40ft in elevation with no problem Little pricey but been using it for 3 years with no hiccups. I like paying a little more for honda engine. You can get a knock off cheaper version, I think some have had good success with a 1 inch pump from TSC or northern tool also.

Maple Ridge Farm
01-29-2015, 11:35 AM
I also use a Honda WX10
Pump 400ft with an elevation of 25-30 ft. using 1" mainline never had an issue in 3 years.

VT_K9
01-29-2015, 08:23 PM
You can go to the Honda website and get an idea as to which pump is best. In the past we used an electric pump to pump a tote tank (275 gal) about 500 feet with a 40 rise with a 3/4" line. It took a LONG time to pump the sap. We have moved our storage tank and moved up to a 600 gallon tank. We are not about 850' run with 80' rise. We bought a Honda pump (I believe it is a WH15) and we used the Honda chart to figure out which was the best size for our situation. We will be pumping it up with 1 1/2" line.

Honda pumps are a little pricey, but I think you are getting a good value for the money.

Mike

Big_Eddy
02-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Be aware that the WX10 referenced above is "designed only to pump water that is not for human consumption." To my knowledge, Honda does not offer a potable water (food safe) pump. I do know lots of producers use them.

For what it's worth, the local water trucks fill wells using Honda pumps too.

asknupp
02-17-2015, 08:49 PM
The reason I'm asking this is because looking at buying the smaller Honda pump. What makes a pump suitable for human consumption? If bought new and never used for anything but sap transport. Some are probably wondering the same. Want to be legit that's why I'm curious.