PDA

View Full Version : Arch insulation ??

LittleGuy
01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Has anyone ever heard of roxul insulatio. It has a rating of 2100 deg.
Is that high enough for the inside of a oil fired arch? This stuff is only $35 with enough to cover 55 sq/ft at 3" thick. From wht i've read it is 8#, 1170 deg Cel, 2100 deg Ferh. The sales rep had a propane tourch on it until it ran out of fuel, The insulation showed no sign of deformation. Just figured I'd throw this out to see if you all thought it was worth the try. Having a hard time finding ceramic blanket that won't cost more then the syrup I'll make this year. :lol: :lol: No e-bay is not an option, they either don't ship to Canada or it will cost like $350 before it gets here.

Here's a link to check it out.
http://www.roxul.com/sw18196.asp

So what do you all think is it worth a try or not?

Thanks all

802maple
01-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I am not sure about that insulation but I do know that we put 2000 degree blanket in our first Oilfired evaporator and after about a hour of boiling we noticed big areas of red hot steel and the insulation had melted into a big pile of glass. 2600 degree, 8lb insulation is what the manufacturers use on the final layer on their arches, and 2300 6lb for the other 2 layers.

Maybe you could use the insulation that you found for the inner layers and then line it with 2600 which I believe can be found 1/2 inch thick, just a thought

maplehound
01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
I've never boiled with oil. But on my wood arch I was told to leav an air space behind the blanket. I acheved that by putting in old metal riged roofing, then my blanket followed by the brick. The air gap keeps my sides cooler than most evaporators I have seen.

LittleGuy
01-26-2007, 07:51 AM
802Maple: from what I read it's not a glass insulation. It's seems to be a stone/metal mix.

Still checking for the ceramic, just want to know if it was a possibality to use this stuff.

802maple
01-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't know I guess is what I am saying, all I know is a oil fired rig is hotter than a propane torch unless it is a cutting torch with oxygen added to it. My understanding is a typical oilfire is around the 2300 degree mark, I could be wrong on that though