PDA

View Full Version : evaporator sap supply

farmerboy469
01-28-2015, 10:55 PM
First time posting here so appreciate all your comments in advance. I want to pressure feed my evaporator instead of gravity flow cause the distance is quite far and height restriction. So is anyone doing this fairly simple and what is the proper way to set this up other than gravity flow.

sugarman3
01-29-2015, 05:26 AM
not sure about doing that, unless you know evaporation rate of evaporator,have pump on a switch,mostly a low pressure pump probably needed,WATCHFUL EYE ON EVAPORATOR SO NOT TO BURN ANYTHING

mellondome
01-29-2015, 05:32 AM
What do you have for an evaporator? It doesnt take much height to feed one. 6". Yes, couple feet is better, but as long as your head tank is above your float, it will go in the pan.

WESTMAPLES
01-29-2015, 07:36 AM
i wouldn`t be sure of the pump idea, if it freezes or reduces flow for some reason, you may be in for a hot burnt mess next. i put my 210 gal head tank 1 1/2 feet above the float box and there was more than enough pressure, when the tank was full to half empty i would use the inline valve to slow the flow a hair or it would make the floatbox pulse when letting in sap good luck and watch you depth in the pans

wiam
01-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Only one I know that does this is Glenn Goodrich. He runs a 3 phase pump with a vfd to control flow. But he is feeding close to 1000gph I believe.

Flatlander
01-31-2015, 05:59 PM
I use a pump to supply my piggy back (no float control for level). Never had a problem with this. I bought a pump from a home brew supply house. I have a 90 degree valve between the pump and the tank. Control flow with the valve.

Granted, pumping into the piggy back, I have a little more lee way with the level than pumping directly into the flue pan. My brother argues I should have the valve in front of the pump and starve the pump as opposed to having the valve after the pump. I disagree. At the end of the day, you have to drain the pump and lines so it doesn't freeze up but I use 5/16 in tubing an it doesn't take long to thaw out if I don't get all the liquid out.

i pump my sap about 25 feet and about 5 feet vertical.

Bruce L
02-01-2015, 08:40 AM
What about larger feed pipe?We went from 1" feed pipe with old evaporator to 1&1/4" with this new rig, I can tell when the tank is getting down as it will boil faster than the pipe will allow the sap to travel in.

Forrest hunters
02-06-2015, 01:12 PM
I have fed my full pint pan for 2 years with a 200 gph rated aquarium pump I had left over from aquarium days. Sanitized it and it has worked fine. Only problem I ever had was the float box would freeze up it I did not drain pressure. Now I just empty line and usually leave pump in storage barrel. This year may be a bit different with my new evaporator but thinking the pump will be just fine. and maybe put in a bucket with a vinegar solution at night.

Also if you are going to put a valve inline with a pump put it after the pump and not before. You want to pressurize a pump and not starve it. At least thats what you do with aquarium pumps. I just run mine full bore and let the float do its work.

Kilroy
02-07-2015, 06:16 PM
I think more information is needed -
How much sap, and distance are the key metrics here I would guess.
It's my first season. So I'm at the block arch, less than 50 taps, & haul 5 gallon buckets with a kiddie sled stage.
Next year I'm probably going to branch out & pull a 55 gallon drum on an old car hood behind a snowmobile, or trailer behind an atv stage. Might be a solution for your case as well?

maple flats
02-08-2015, 07:28 AM
I think gravity is far better, even if the elevated feed tank is rather small. Just use the pump refill the elevated tank. That can be done using any of several methods to turn the pump on and off.