PDA

View Full Version : Sap Ladder Questions

Longyearfarm
01-28-2015, 06:01 PM
So I have to install a sap ladder on my line in order to reach the remainder of my taps. I Have a 3/4" mainline with about 75 taps on it already. I'm looking to add another 60 or so after the ladder. I'm currently running a surge RV pump which was giving me 22" of vacuum all day long.

The ladder will drop down about 6' to give me a chance to get good slope for the rest of my taps. I'm planning on using a set of 6 star ladders here. So here's my questions...how many taps per 5/16 line on the spider? What are the advantages or disadvantages of installing a second ladder? Will I loose that much more vacuum with a 2nd ladder? Thanks in advance.

Matt

BreezyHill
01-28-2015, 06:32 PM
In my system I didn't loose anything until after the third ladder for a total of 38'.

The trick is to have the sap flowing fast. If the sap floods the feeder main there will be little vacuum transfer.

I have a series of 7 ladders to bring sap thru 112' of risers.

So witch RV do you have? My dad was a surge dealer.

I have as many as 22 taps per line on spiders. To few on a line and things move slower. I would setup the ladder for 4 risers and cap the other two of a 6 way. If you add more taps then you can just add a riser. I have one ladder that I had to unplug two risers and plug the risers and cap the spider as the ladder was flooding from to slow of a flow of sap.

Ideally I like to have 2% slope feed the ladder to keep it from getting surges.

If you have issues let me know probably been there and solved that. We have had ladders since the late 1970's. Back then nearly every dairy farm had a milk ladder. Milk went up, from under the cow to a line that was usually around 6.5 feet off the ground. Dad thought if milk can do it why cant sap.

Love to see a pic of the RV pump. Let me know if you want pics of my ladders

Ben

Longyearfarm
01-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Breezy, I can't figure out how to re-post pics, but if you search the threads for "surge pump with reclaimer and moisture trap" you should see some pictures. Thanks for the info.

Matt