PDA

View Full Version : First Batch done in Darien

crolmstead
01-27-2015, 04:47 PM
I ran 30 taps on Norway Maples last week and boiled last Saturday. Averaged 2.15% sugar in the sap and recalibrated my refractometer to make sure it was right. Double checked it with a sap hydrometer and it was accurate. Made the clearest syrup I have ever made, or even seen. Will tap the red and sugar maples starting Feb 9th but the weather in SW CT was so nice last week I could not resist.

60 taps on a 2x4 Smoky Lake pan with propane finisher in a small but dedicated sugar shack.

morningstarfarm
01-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Wow!!...just one word...jealous....congrats and good luck

tanta
02-05-2015, 02:04 PM
We're teaching (kids) but not tapping (trees) because ours are STILL frozen solid!

A kid today asked if I tapped the tree maybe Maple Slushies would come out! Now wouldn't that be cool?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-05-2015, 06:43 PM
I ran 30 taps on Norway Maples last week

How is the flavor of Norway maple syrup? Any noticeable difference? Norway maples are everywhere here.

CTSap4Maple
02-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Wondering if your taps froze crolmstead? Planning on tapping here last week of Feb.

Sandersyrup
02-08-2015, 08:08 AM
How is the flavor of Norway maple syrup? Any noticeable difference? Norway maples are everywhere here.

I tap a few Norways and the flavor is excellent, similar to red maple, nutty, smokey, no off flavors. In the woods Norway maples run about 1.5% sugar with about 5-8 gallons per tap, in a yard I see about 2.5+% sugar and about 10-12 gallons per tap.

Helicopter Seeds
02-10-2015, 10:27 PM
I put one tap in one tree two weeks ago on a "warm" day and did not get anything. Concerned that the wood may split (I am new to this still) if it is too cold, so I did not put the other taps in the tree. I am a bit further inland than you in Darien, and higher elevation, so not surprised. The forecast ahead has no sign of thaw coming. I built a new brick evaporator, got some steam tray pans, and am ready to go.

Calycanthus
02-12-2015, 05:08 AM
Just realized that the weather the last couple days...time for the Homer Simpson 'Doh".

Ten day forecast says weather turns following this weekend, and while it's hard to predict early runs (not to mention the weather), it's possible mid-week, likely by next weekend.

Is there such a things as sugar shack fever? I think I'm coming down with it.

WI Sugarpop
02-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Just realized that the weather the last couple days...time for the Homer Simpson 'Doh".

Ten day forecast says weather turns following this weekend, and while it's hard to predict early runs (not to mention the weather), it's possible mid-week, likely by next weekend.

Is there such a things as sugar shack fever? I think I'm coming down with it.

Didn't anyone tell you that it is a serious illness? You ignore your job, your wife, your family, and you spend all your money on maple stuff, just like a gambler does.:lol:

valleyman
02-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Welcome and good luck Helicopter.
Be ready to kiss your loved ones goodbye soon!

batsofbedlam
02-12-2015, 03:22 PM
When I started out in life, my goal was to go for broke. And, I've achieved it.

WI Sugarpop
02-12-2015, 05:24 PM
When I started out in life, my goal was to go for broke. And, I've achieved it.
Excellent quote and how true that is especially for a hobby.

Helicopter Seeds
02-24-2015, 08:45 PM
What a tease weather Sunday, we hit 40! Spent the morning dealing with heavy wet snow, finally got a couple hours in and put in the other taps in mine and my neighbors trees. One tree had a wee bit of wetting, but would not call it a drip. now dropped below freezing again, and still have my In-law's to go. I may just do it Saturday, it is supposed to get to 28 degrees F. I can always tap lightly, and tap harder if they leak. Nothing in the buckets yet.
last year - 3 taps, this year 10, with 10 to 15 to go.

Helicopter Seeds
03-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Much lower volume than others here, but happy to get 6 more taps into 3 of my relative's trees yesterday. Funny - he got nervous about the biggest tree in the middle of his yard, thinking I would somehow hurt it, and he would lose property value! Using 5 gallon white pails with lids, and tubes running into them, so each tree may take longer. I just couldn't see spending $15 per pail on the classic kind. If I expand, my labor counts too, so I sure spent more time with lines and drilling into the lid.
Anyway, got a little wet drip from a couple which promptly froze down the bark. More snow today, but forecast above freezing, and a warm day coming Werdnesday - Maybe that will finally get things started!!