PDA

View Full Version : What is best way to raise sap?

ldick
01-27-2015, 03:11 PM
I want to run an extension of my vacuum 3/4 mainline but would like it to start it 3-4 ft. lower than the end of the current line? The new line will service about 300 taps. From what I have read I believe this is more than can be handled with a spider. Is that true and if so is there a way I can accomplish this?

markct
01-27-2015, 03:37 PM
It can be done with multiple spiders, some people like the 2 pipe sap lifts basicly 2 pieces of mainline straight up, myself I like star fittings as they seem to thaw a lot faster.

BreezyHill
01-27-2015, 03:47 PM
No, spider or star fittings can handle the capacity of the line.

How long is the first mains from the releaser to the end?

How long will the second main be?

How much slope does the first main have?

How many cfms does your pump make?

How many inches of vac are you at?

From this I can tell you where the issue will be.

4' is not an issue provided you have enough cfm and vac inches to lift the sap.

My concern is enough Cubic Feet per Minute(CFM) of vac to work with at the end of the 3/4" main.

Ben

ldick
01-28-2015, 09:48 AM

My concern is enough Cubic Feet per Minute(CFM) of vac to work with at the end of the 3/4" main.

Ben

First main is approx 1000 ft of 1.25" and 500 ft. of 3/4"
Second main about 500 ft. of 3/4"
Mains have less than 1% slope
Pump is rated at 35 cfm
We run around 25 inches of vacuum

BreezyHill
01-28-2015, 10:25 AM
First main is approx 1000 ft of 1.25" and 500 ft. of 3/4"
Second main about 500 ft. of 3/4"
Mains have less than 1% slope
Pump is rated at 35 cfm
We run around 25 inches of vacuum

Good, we are in business. one star will not quite cut it so I would run two 6 way stars. I have these same numbers on a 3/4" mains to an additional 3/4 to another ladder prior to the sugar house. You will need an injector to speed sap thru the ladder if the feeder main starts to flood, but not as much as me as mine is 16' & 14' tall. For a 4 foot rise you may have plenty of gases from the trees and if there are any little leaks they will be used as well.

If you need any other design criteria let me know.

Ben

markct
01-28-2015, 12:10 PM

Ben

Thats not at all true there are some who have sap ladders lifting way more than that with multiple stars. They can handle the capacity with enough of them! Somewhere on youtube there is a guy that has like 6 or 8 sets of 6 way stars lifting sap

ldick
01-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Good, we are in business. one star will not quite cut it so I would run two 6 way stars. I have these same numbers on a 3/4" mains to an additional 3/4 to another ladder prior to the sugar house. You will need an injector to speed sap thru the ladder if the feeder main starts to flood, but not as much as me as mine is 16' & 14' tall. For a 4 foot rise you may have plenty of gases from the trees and if there are any little leaks they will be used as well.

If you need any other design criteria let me know.

Ben

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.

Russell Lampron
01-29-2015, 06:42 PM
A 6 way star will handle 50 taps. For additional taps add more stars as needed to handle the extra capacity. I have used 2 pipe sap ladders and currently have a 3 way star sap ladder. I like both set ups and feel that I got better vacuum transfer with the 2 pipe set up.