PDA

View Full Version : Off Color Sap

BillinTennessee
01-27-2015, 02:00 PM
I am sorry if this has been covered. A search did not have any results

I am tapping 14 trees, all Black Maple as far as I can tell. Black and Sugar are so similar I can't tell them apart but I am pretty sure they are Black Maple. Two of the trees are exposed to full sun all day. They are beside a small creek. I have 3 other trees along the same line exposed to full sun.
The first batch I got from them was crystal clear. Then we had a warm spell and the sap stopped flowing. (I'm in middle Tennessee) It got cold again (below freezing at night) and I checked the trees and all had good flow but two of them had off color sap. It was almost a light amber color. I figured it had spoiled so I tossed it. I put clean buckets on the trees. The next day I checked and had a couple gallons in the buckets and it was also off color. the other trees were fine, crystal clear. It was 24 hours and daytime temperature was about 40. I did have one tree where I had left a half full bucket during the warm spell and it got cloudy but it was not off color, just cloudy. I tossed that as well. So, why would the sap be a light amber color? It it usable or should I stop using sap from those trees?

calvertbrothers
01-27-2015, 02:24 PM
I am sorry if this has been covered. A search did not have any results

I am tapping 14 trees, all Black Maple as far as I can tell. Black and Sugar are so similar I can't tell them apart but I am pretty sure they are Black Maple. Two of the trees are exposed to full sun all day. They are beside a small creek. I have 3 other trees along the same line exposed to full sun.
The first batch I got from them was crystal clear. Then we had a warm spell and the sap stopped flowing. (I'm in middle Tennessee) It got cold again (below freezing at night) and I checked the trees and all had good flow but two of them had off color sap. It was almost a light amber color. I figured it had spoiled so I tossed it. I put clean buckets on the trees. The next day I checked and had a couple gallons in the buckets and it was also off color. the other trees were fine, crystal clear. It was 24 hours and daytime temperature was about 40. I did have one tree where I had left a half full bucket during the warm spell and it got cloudy but it was not off color, just cloudy. I tossed that as well. So, why would the sap be a light amber color? It it usable or should I stop using sap from those trees?

Do you have lids on these buckets? I know when I had buckets "last year" I have some buckets with no lids and rain would make it that color. it would drip off the branches or run done the side of the tree hit the spout and then drip in the bucket. another reason could be rusty buckets. when sap get to warm it turns murky white.

Schiefe4
01-27-2015, 02:30 PM
You hit an area of bad wood while you were tapping. When I did buckets it happened to me on occasion. It should clear up over time.

BillinTennessee
01-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. The first 5 gallons came out clear. Then it turned the off color. Should I discard it or use it. I'd hate to ruin a batch of syrup.
Also how long does it take for it to spoil.
Can you still use the sap if it is a little cloudy?
I'm only expecting to get about 3 gallons of syrup so every little bit counts, LOL
I will keep tapping until the sap stop flowing but once the trees bud I'll stop.

I have food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets and all have lids. I drilled a hole in the lid on the first couple I did and realized rain could get in so I have tapped all the buckets on the side just below the lid. I have tubing run to the bucket. No rain can get in. Insects are still a bit of an issue if I don't seal the lid which I hate doing because they are so hard to get off. I just put a rock on top to keep it on.

Russell Lampron
01-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Cloudy and discolored sap will still make good syrup as long as the sap hasn't spoiled.

BillinTennessee
01-27-2015, 05:27 PM
OK next stupid question from a beginner.
How can you tell if it is spoiled?
My first guess is taste it but I don't know if that's a good way of knowing.

Thanks for being patient.

DavidSB
01-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Has it rained or melting snow been dripping down the bark? I've had buckets of sap turn amber because of rain picking up color from the bark, and enough entering covered metal buckets to make me dump it. You will get cloudy sap, especially the warmer days toward the end of the season, the sap turns faster, but for the most part, it's still good, it'll be darker but still good. -David

BillinTennessee
01-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks David. It did rain so It might be possible it followed the tubing down to the bucket. I tasted the sap that was a little cloudy and it tasted fine. No difference from the clear sap. I'll check the off color sap tomorrow. If it tastes ok I think I'll use it. It isn't very dark just a very pale amber color.

Sugarmaker
01-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Bill,
I would suggest boiling the sap. sounds like you have good tight containers. I have seen seasons where the sap is off color, usually during warm temps. If you get a good freeze see if it changes back to clear, till then keep boiling, till the syrup doesn't taste good.
FYI i boiled the yellow and orange sap and made good dark syrup. I have also boiled crystal clear sap from late season, it was metabolic and made some of the worst tasting syrup on the planet.
We are interested in the taste. When that goes bad then your done.

Regards,
Chris

BillinTennessee
01-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks Chris. I guess it will be ok. I'm sorry I tossed the first buckets of the off color sap. They were full. !0 gallons. Of course for big producers that's nothing but for me it means 1 1/2 pints or so of syrup, LOL. The only thing I am not sure of now is my sugar content of my Black Maple trees but I am measuring the sap now to get a true estimate of yield. The first batch I just collected it and poured it in without adding up how much sap I boiled. I would like to know what my sap to syrup ratio is. I realize it can vary from time to time. My syrup should still be OK as long as the trees aren't budded. The weather here is unpredictable. it will get warm in the 30's or 40's at night for a few days then go back into the 20's at night for a few days. The sap doesn't flow when it gets warm at night. I might be on my last boil now but the weather predicts another cold snap next week.

buckeye gold
01-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Taste the syrup cool. If you taste warm right off the evaporator it will tatse ok. After it sits a day and is cool all off flavors will be more apparent

maple flats
01-28-2015, 04:02 PM
You can make good syrup until the buds actually pop. Just swelling is not yet a game changer. As far as off colored sap, as long as you are sure it is not contaminated, it is fine.
You will know when the sap is spoiled, it will stink, but you can still make dark syrup, however as the buds pop, the boiling pan's steam will smell like dirty socks. Then it's time to quit.

Sugarmaker
01-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Bill,
Sounds like you will be making syrup for a few more runs if the weather is going to get cold. Those black maples should be at 2% sugar content. on the off colored sap I would look in the buckets dump one and save the next one:)
Regards,
Chris

BillinTennessee
01-29-2015, 12:55 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their help on this little adventure. I am sure my questions will keep coming as I learn.
An update on my progress. The weather is up and down so I might get a few more runs.
I collected 60.5 Gallons of sap in this last batch. I'm afraid to let it collect and sit for any length of time because it gets so warm.
My yield was just over 1 Gallon and 1 pint of syrup. I lost very little due to having the recommended filters. Thanks everyone for that.
Doing the math I think my my sap from my trees is about 1.5% sugar content. But I reckon that can vary.
This second batch is darker than the first batch and the flavor is a little stronger. Still great syrup though.

The weather is going to be good for a few days so I hope to process another batch. I've got about 30 Gallons since last night. I'd like to do 120 gallons sap this time. it looks like three days below freezing at night. I'll keep going as long as the weather holds. These old bones are not liking this wood cutting and splitting. Chainsaw and Mall.