PDA

View Full Version : Balance Tank

miohman
01-27-2015, 06:02 AM
I'm planning on running a SP-22 with an electric releaser this year. Do I need a balance tank? What is the purpose? T

Thanks as always

upsmapleman
01-27-2015, 06:42 AM
No you do not need one. They are used in the diary industry to keep vacuum at a steady level. I used one when I first started as it came with my pump but don't now and see no difference.

BreezyHill
01-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Balance tanks in the maple industry are called booster tanks. Often used in the bush where laterals conjoin the main line or a wet/ dry line. Their purpose is to be a source of completed evacuation so that an influx of air/gases is absorbed and does not cause a dramatic drop in the vacuum level.

With an sp-22, dual piston style, the closer you can keep the pump to the releaser the more advantage you will see from a balance tank as it will maintain a more consistent vacuum level to the bush and have less variations of vacuum when surges of sap come thru the lines to the releaser. Piston style is slower to evacuate the system than a rotary pump.

Since you are using an electric releaser you will see less positive results but during peak flow the results will be most evident.

In your system the spare room of your releaser is a balance tank as it is not unused space that will need to be brought from no vacuum to the desired vacuum level when it cycles like a mechanical releaser.

The additional positive affect of a balance tank on a vacuum pump is that it is an additional water trap for the pump. As with all water traps it is imperative that they be dumped to reduce rusting. When built under or next to the pump it is even more vital to the long life of a pump to dump daily.

The additional benefit is, a location for any oil to collect to better protect the sap equipment that is located after the recommended check valve that isolates the pump from the food section of the system. In my system it is not uncommon to find a drop of oil in the water trap. Both checks are working perfectly but some how oil has passed to the vacuum transfer line. A second fail safe is far easier to build than it is to wash and decontaminate your releaser, water trap and manifold system. I had this problem once in my old system and it took a day to take it all apart wash and put back. I also had to wash the collection tank. All because there was a sheen on the top of the sap in the collection tank that was nearly full. It was painful to open the valve and dump nearly 500 gallons of sap.

While a balance tank is not needed it will increase your production and protect your pump and product.

Ben