PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 mainline hill-billy job-Tightening Mainline

TerryEspo
01-26-2015, 03:42 PM
I wasn't sure what to call this post.

I am trying something new this year and hope it goes well.

I have some 1/2" saddles coming so I am buying 300FT of 1/2" mainline. I will be using 50ft, 75ft-100ft max runs, gravity into 55 gallon drums.

I hope to bend the end right over back onto the mainline,hose clamp and enough duct tape that a wire or chain will hold the end tight. Same goes for the other end. I am not seeking airtight as I will not be using a pump on this type of line.

Can anyone predict failure with short lines like I plan?

Thanks for any input.

Terry

jmayerl
01-26-2015, 04:16 PM
I have no problem predicting failure as I am no stranger to it..........just realize when doing things half as@, that thing usually don't work, just saying! Good luck with it though.

morningstarfarm
01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
My mantra has always been...do it right or pay to do it again...just use the .20c plug...and hang it on wire and it should work fine...until you decide to go to vacuum anyways...then I don't like 1/2" for anything...not enough space inside for vac transfer at the saddles once it starts running

TerryEspo
01-26-2015, 06:49 PM
The reason I have to do it strange is I must take it all down after sap season. Trails and such makes me have to remove the lines, wish I could keep a mainline up all year.
I was in the back this eve looking how to run lines and it is a mystery to me. I will need to use some tees and branch out my 1/2" line, looks like work, lol.

I wonder if I can twist a knot into the 1/2" and tie off from that, use a come-a-long on the other end ?? My TSC store said their 1/2" was buried under 4ft of snow so, I now must wait a week before some arrives to start playing around.

I will let everyone know if it works out. If I can,t get it tight, aircraft cable is my next helper.

Wish me luck.

Terry

spud
01-26-2015, 06:54 PM
I agree with morningstarfarm and buy the .20 plugs for the ends. No mention of how many taps will be running down your mainlines. Everything should work fine for you and you should get some natural vacuum to help you out. Try to run some longer lateral line with 30+ taps.

Spud

TerryEspo
01-26-2015, 08:21 PM
I will check about these 20 cent ends, not sure what they are but sounds like I will use them, didn't know about them. So are they just a plug, stopper, dead end thing? I really don't know how many taps will be going in until I run a line and see how many trees I can connect. I hope to run a line by the harder to get at trees. Regrettably I don't have much slope to work with. I will just have to raise one end higher than the other. Thinking 6ft down to 3ft.

Thanks.

Terry

psparr
01-26-2015, 08:46 PM
If you get some 1/2" braided rope. The cheap stuff. You can use it like a chinese handcuff. Stick the tubing in the center of the rope and pull it out the side when about a foot of the tubing is in the rope. Then just pull it tight.

unc23win
01-26-2015, 09:47 PM
I will check about these 20 cent ends, not sure what they are but sounds like I will use them, didn't know about them. So are they just a plug, stopper, dead end thing? I really don't know how many taps will be going in until I run a line and see how many trees I can connect. I hope to run a line by the harder to get at trees. Regrettably I don't have much slope to work with. I will just have to raise one end higher than the other. Thinking 6ft down to 3ft.

Thanks.

Terry

Terry not sure, but I think Morningstar was talking about these insert plugs. http://www.bascommaple.com/search/insert+plug/ For half inch line if you use the rope like psparr is talking about to tighten it should work fairly good for smaller diameter line. Wire would be better, but its not as user friendly when it comes to taking it down each season. I don't envy that at all. What does TSC have 1/2" water pipe?

morningstarfarm
01-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Yup that's them...about .20 at home depot

TerryEspo
01-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Hey Jared:

My local TSC is always more $$$ than Michigan TSC, but they had 100ft, 75psi, 1/2" water poly pipe on sale for $24.99. That is what I will use this year and see how it goes.

I was practising the Chinese knot last night, lol.

Terry

unc23win
01-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Ok I was just wondering a lot of people use the black water pipe. I sort of forgot that TSC sold it ha.

markct
01-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Next time go 3/4 its alot easier with saddles and it can be had for around 22 cents a ft. The only thing i use 1/2 for nowdays is pump lines so there is less sap that drains back to the releaser

maple flats
01-28-2015, 03:55 PM
If you get some 1/2" braided rope. The cheap stuff. You can use it like a chinese handcuff. Stick the tubing in the center of the rope and pull it out the side when about a foot of the tubing is in the rope. Then just pull it tight.
Then it helps if you put a hose clamp on the loose end. Then you can pull tight and nothing will bump the tail end causing it to slip.