PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle varying snow levels?

NTBugtraq
01-26-2015, 01:55 PM
So last year I had 4' of snow on the ground, and so all my lines had to be higher than that, making taps very high also. This year, there's a lot less snow. My understanding was that the runs would get put into place and left there year after year. The taps need to be re-drilled each year. If the runs aren't tightened up before the snow, there's the chance that they get frozen into the snow. So, do you make your runs based on your greatest snowfall? If so, where do you put your taps when the snow is not as much?? e.g. do you take a ladder out when the snow isn't deep?

Cheers,
Russ

BreezyHill
01-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Our operation is by the south west point of VT on the NY boarder. Our snow fall is variable also. Last two seasons next to nothing and we run most lines at waist height. I have just installed two mains that travel within 14" of the bare ground. These areas will need to be packed next to the mains with snowmobiles and snow shoes. I have two sons still at home that will be more than happy to do the job.

When I was young I can remember having to snowshoe the bush just to find the lines and then pack to keep them out of the snow after every storm that season. It was a lot of work but kinda fun. We didn't have snow machines then so now is a lot better.

I try to keep mains with a trail on both sides or at least one side as it is easier to ride to check the lines than to walk all the lines.

Ben

COMSTOCK MAPLES
01-26-2015, 04:59 PM
I have some mains near the ground about 12" off or so and just walk those spots after a big snow.Most all others are waist height and walk them couple times and have no problem.

NTBugtraq
01-27-2015, 01:54 PM
So you're walking lines all winter then?

tcross
01-27-2015, 02:02 PM
i have areas where my main is 2' off the ground and areas that are 6' off the ground! the area 2' off the ground is a 20'-25' stretch and it has gotten shoveled out once already! had to work with the slope I was given by mother nature! I tend to walk my lines after a snow or wind storm to check for damage. figure it's easy to do a little repair at a time then all at once right before the season starts! so yeah, I walk my lines mains during the winter... but I also enjoy being in the woods!

AdirondackSap
01-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Yes you ave to walk the lines. Maple sugaring isnt for the lazy why would you care if you had to walk the line lol.

AdirondackSap
01-27-2015, 02:51 PM
You also dont get rich making maple syrup. Te people who you see making money at sugaring been doing it for several years and have a ton invested im sure it took awhile before they made money.

NTBugtraq
01-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes you ave to walk the lines. Maple sugaring isnt for the lazy why would you care if you had to walk the line lol.

My lines aren't easy to walk, that's not just me being lazy. We're not all presented with perfect continuous slopes to our sugar shack. And I never said anything about getting rich. Seems you're coming on a bit strong AdirondacSap. I wanted to clear paths along my lines last year but got sidetracked on other unavoidable things, so this year I still have my problems of large rocks, fallen trees, and steep slopes. I'm alone, so I have nobody but 911 to call should I get hurt in a fall, or stuck. I agree, walking them every time there's a significant snowfall makes the most sense, I just wanted to hear what others do.

BreezyHill
01-27-2015, 04:41 PM
So you're walking lines all winter then?

If I have to Yes, now this season is so far like the last two ad we are in a snow drought. The big blizzard of 2015 dumped me about 2.5". So there is no need to walk them yet.

I would suggest a gps for you. That way if you ever need to call 911 you can give them a location. Real sucks having a person injured and you cant find them.

Sorry some of us get a little tunnel blind and don't always think before we speak.

We all started some where with little and built from there. Personnaly I am in a retubing the bush stage. Sales are very good but I wont sell bulk and make next to nothing. I would rather sell retail and retail more of the profit. So we keep retubing and improving and investing as we go.

Like they say there are no stupid questions...

Ben

PACMAN
01-27-2015, 05:18 PM
I walk mine about eveyother day durring the season. And my bush is very steep too,with rocks. I walk it in the am before the lines thaw. It gives me a nice walk in the am with a hot cup of coffee.

The Sweet Spot
01-27-2015, 08:49 PM
We had record snowfalls last year and I injured my shoulder, and upper back in the early winter. I was unable to walk my lines all winter but was determined to boil sap. Before the weather started turning my injuries were better, so off I went. The snow was deeper than I have ever seen. (we lived through the winter of 76) I would dig till I found a line and throw it over my good shoulder with my knees bent crouching low, stand up pulling the line out of the snow. Then walk forward 3-4 feet, and do it again. The snow was so compact that as you walked forward the line over my shoulder would pull me to the ground. Over and over, and over, and over I did this only stopping to dig and collapse once in a while. We had about 380 taps in 2013, and had planned to double the number of taps every year till all trees were a part of our system. Needles to say we did not expand our sugarbush in 2014. This year we hope to catch up a bit, with a total of 1000 taps. I could not imagine doing what I did with 1000 taps. Please if it snows hard, go out and pull your lines up. I love walking my bush and do it about 4-5 times a month with a hot cup-a joe. Just my little rant.