PDA

View Full Version : Water activity level of syrup

SDdave
01-26-2015, 01:09 PM
What is the water activity level of maple syrup? I am hoping less than 0.85. I tried googling it but only came up with the generic term of syrup. State doesn't allow home processed canned foods to be sold unless it is below 4.6 pH (which is a no) or a water activity level lower than 0.85.

Thanks for any help in advance!

SDdave

DrTimPerkins
01-26-2015, 01:52 PM
What is the water activity level of maple syrup?

Assuming syrup is at the correct density, the water activity is 0.87-0.88.

tuckermtn
01-26-2015, 04:35 PM
ok, I'm curious - what does "water activity" mean?

SDdave
01-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Water activity is the amount of water available for microorganisms to cause spoilage. Water of course is a 1, dry milk powder comes in at around 0.2, fresh fruit I believe is high close to 1. I think the FDA has a threshold around the 0.87 mark.

I was hoping it was at 0.85 or a little lower, to skirt some cottage food laws in my state. Now I think I will have to try to get some wording reworded in the current cottage food laws in SD.

Thanks for the info Dr. Tim.

SDdave

markct
01-27-2015, 09:04 AM
I think it would be easier to comply than get the law rewritten, we all know the gov isn't speedy with anything I bet you would miss a few seasons before change happened

SDdave
01-27-2015, 09:56 AM
I think it would be easier to comply than get the law rewritten, we all know the gov isn't speedy with anything I bet you would miss a few seasons before change happened

Yes it probably would. But SD cottage food laws don't pertain to maple syrup...yet. In order to sell at farmer markets, would require a full scale food processing establishment (i.e.. separate septic, separate water source, 100% washable panels floor and ceiling, $$$$, etc., etc.). I am jealous of all you living in states with a heritage in maple syrup making as those laws were made with that in mind. I was just hoping for a lower water activity of maple syrup to fit in the requirements of these laws. I know gov't moves slow, but I got time.

Good season to you all,

SDdave

markct
01-29-2015, 06:00 AM
Interesting, thought most states recognized it as relatively low risk as even the fda views it

markct
01-29-2015, 06:05 AM
How about making it into solid sugar blocks as was done years ago or candy, granular sugar etc all of which have way less water and thus would be in the parameters of your law. Could be a great niche market