PDA

View Full Version : tubing repair tool

maplefarmer
01-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Where can you get a tubing repair tool that will cut tubing and also remove the small piece of tubing remaining on the fitting? I have a tubing tool for putting fittings on the tube, but in doing repairs I have to cut the tubing and try cutting the tubing off the fitting with a utility knife, and doesn't work well. Seen a video and they cut the tubing out to repair and also cut the small piece left on the fitting with this tool, anybody know what this might have been or where you can get one, without paying an arm and leg.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-25-2015, 06:01 PM
a caution here, if you are using vacuum, don't try to reuse fittings. Cutting the tubing off the barbs often leads to scoring of the barb and a leak is created.

unc23win
01-25-2015, 06:57 PM
With some practice you can cut them off like you said with anvil pruning shears, but as Thompson says if the barb is scored it could create a leak.

maplehick
01-26-2015, 03:48 PM
I think the tool you are talking about is made by pruno, i have one and its not that user friendly. I have cut the fitting off leaving a 1/4 inch of tubing extra then i dip the tubing in boiling water for about 30 seconds and pull it off with plyers.

mellondome
01-26-2015, 04:08 PM
The cost of a new fitting is usually less then the frustration of a leak you can't find

Russell Lampron
01-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I never reuse fittings. The amount of time that it takes to try to save the $.25 isn't worth the effort. I put in a new fitting and move on. I get the leaks fixed a lot faster and have time to do other things.

maple flats
01-26-2015, 06:52 PM
I also never reuse fittings. If one needs to have the tubing removed, it just gets cut off, fitting and all, and the fitting is put in a recycle tote I have to recycle all maple tubing. When full (275 gal tote with top cut out) it will be taken to a place in Auburn, NY for recycling.

TunbridgeDave
01-27-2015, 10:30 AM
If you must cut the tubing off a fitting, like a saddle or star that you don't want to replace, get yourself a good pair of side cutters(wire cutters). The best ones I've seen are large Channel-Lock brand. The way they are ground makes it easy to "tent" the tubing while cutting without damaging the barbs on the fittings.

Bruce L
01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
I saw a video on youtube I believe of a guy doing this. Take a good pair of pruning shears like Fiskars, cut the tubing off about 1/2' from the fitting, then stick the bottom portion of the shears in the tubing while the top carefully cuts a release, then grab with the shears and pull the piece off.

BreezyHill
01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
The cost of a new fitting is usually less then the frustration of a leak you can't find

SPOT ON!

The worst invention I have seen is the tubing removal tool. A razor blade is ground to cut the tubing down to the fitting to speed the removal of the tubing. What you end up with is fittings with tiny leaks from the blade nicking the barbs.

Cut out the fitting and install a new one...the added production will pay for the fitting that season.

Almost as bad as a tool that is not perfectly square and slides the tubing on and causes a leak.:evil: