PDA

View Full Version : Sap pump lines

backyardsugarer
02-23-2004, 06:42 PM
This is a tricky situation, but try to stay with me. I have a stream that runs through my property and on the side away from my shack there are about 20 nice maples so I tapped them. I built a bridge during the summer but the bank is very steep and I already fell on my a** twice. I was thinking of putting a 30 gallon drum on the far side and dumping all the sap into that. Then running an extension shord (about 100 feet) from my shack to the drum and pumping it across. I have a brand new submersible pump. Is it ok to use a new garden hose if I clean it out or will this result in strange tasting sap? I am not a commercial producer but still want to make a quality product. Let me know what you think.

Chris

syrupmaker
02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Chris... spend the extra and buy a water hose from an RV dealer. A cheapy garden hose will give you a vinyl smell from the sap going through it.

Rick

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Definitely don't want to use water hose if you don't have to. You could buy a roll of 100' of 1/2" black water pipe for around eight bucks at Lowes and put water hose fitting on both end for next to nothing!

maplemaniac65
02-26-2004, 03:48 PM
This is a tricky situation, but try to stay with me. I have a stream that runs through my property and on the side away from my shack there are about 20 nice maples so I tapped them. I built a bridge during the summer but the bank is very steep and I already fell on my a** twice. I was thinking of putting a 30 gallon drum on the far side and dumping all the sap into that. Then running an extension shord (about 100 feet) from my shack to the drum and pumping it across. I have a brand new submersible pump. Is it ok to use a new garden hose if I clean it out or will this result in strange tasting sap? I am not a commercial producer but still want to make a quality product. Let me know what you think.

ChrisBe careful using garden hose for sap transfer. Most contain lead or a lead based material in the process of making them. As stated a black plastic water line is the best way to go.