PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Morrow

Lazarus
01-22-2015, 12:03 PM
I tapped 350 in all on the 16th and 17th. Have collected every evening except last night. Around 75 taps are on new ground about 7 minutes away by car, and that ground is a much higher elevation and is still frozen. All enormous reds, thought they would be stellar, but now I'm hoping they are not too big and old to produce. It's a pain to hook up a tank on a trailer and run up there every day if they're not going to do much.

Lost permission this year on about 25 taps, some of them big producers. Homeowner did not want to do it again this year.

The other taps are in lower areas, and some are doing great, some are still trickling. Too warm the last 2 days for sap to run, but I had some extremely late nights on Monday and Tuesday boiling. I realize 350 trees isn't a lot, but when you spend 3 hours stumbling around in the dark woods after you get home from work collecting sap and *then* you still have to boil off 150 gallons, it's sometimes a bit painful. New Leader RO coming on Saturday, so I hope that helps.

Either way, I can't keep doing this by bucket It's killing me. Must find some sugaring woods to run vacuum on for 2016. Vacuum or die!

Pibster
01-22-2015, 02:49 PM
That's a lot of taps to collect every night. I've got 120 in a small area, takes me around 30 minutes. Be careful, too much work takes the fun out it.

buckeye gold
01-22-2015, 05:09 PM
I'm just an hour east of you and I cooked Sunday-Wed, but Tuesday was my big run then it got too warm and they quit. I have a little sap out in the woods, but probably won't boil for a day or two. I went to the Ohio Maple days in Morrow county today so I couldn't do anything else.

Tom_saw
02-21-2015, 08:09 PM
I've have about 120 tapped over in Owensville . Looks like nothing will happen until next Saturday , if the trees thaw out .