PDA

View Full Version : Syrup from Sweetgum?

Homespun
01-21-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm considering tapping a Sweetgum tree this year.
Supposedly it's been done by some producers and it has a sap sugar content and syrup flavor similar to Maples.
Anyone ever done this? What were the results like?

sweetgum wisperer
10-28-2015, 06:53 PM
have you tried it, and what was the result. I'm in Virginia and we have an abundance of them. trying to figure out if it works or not.

Homespun
11-01-2015, 12:18 PM
I couldn't get permission to tap my neighbor's Sweet Gum tree, so I don't have any more info.

sweetgum wisperer
11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Well I guess I will find out in the spring. seem to hit a brick wall every time I get close to finding out what type of syrup it make people quite.

gbwez
01-31-2021, 11:13 AM
I have tapped some sweetgums in Kansas this year with encouraging results. There’s not a lot of information out there so I’ll post my experience for others. Sugar content is solid, 2.5 to 3%. A lot more variability between trees than I’m used to seeing with maples. A couple have been bone dry, others 30 feet away are really gushing. Younger trees seem to be less productive than the more mature ones. I’ve only done one batch of syrup and it’s identical to what I’d expect from early-season maple - light in color, vanilla/butterscotch flavor.