PDA

View Full Version : Arch Rebuild: Smokestack phase questions

Tidajo
01-21-2015, 04:14 PM
I have a few simple questions. I hope for some easy answers!

2 X 6 drop flue wood fired arch, with no air. Used outside.

As seen in the pics, the back plate has a 16" X 4" opening. Is that enough, or have the standards changed over time and I should cut it open longer?

The smokestack will be 12'. I am planning on 7" duct. Is that OK?

Thanks!

Schiefe4
01-21-2015, 06:39 PM
For current dimensions and standard stack base sizes:

http://www.sugarbushsupplies.com/2014_Catalog/archsmokestack.pdf

If you plan to expand and turn this into a 2x8 or 2x10, consider using 10" smoke stack.

Sugarmaker
01-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Sounds like the 7 inch would work real good with natural draft. 8 inch may be standard size? 12 foot high should be just right. Make sure you are able to anchor the stack to assure it does not tip over. I post in the ground and some straps to the stack would be good.
I would leave the base alone. It should be about right. You can calculate the area of the opening in the base and the pipe should be at least that big.
I think you have the stack base on upside down. The flange should be pointing up. That keeps the base stack on the arch.
You will have to find something to patch the holes in the casting. could be another piece of steel or sheet metal. At least you have the majority of the casting base. Thats a good start.
How are those pans cleaning up?
Regards,
Chris

morningstarfarm
01-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Maker is right...flip that base plate over so the flange is up...it should fit inside your stack base...would use 8"...

Tidajo
01-22-2015, 03:54 PM
I think you have the stack base on upside down. The flange should be pointing up. That keeps the base stack on the arch.
You will have to find something to patch the holes in the casting. could be another piece of steel or sheet metal. At least you have the majority of the casting base. Thats a good start.
How are those pans cleaning up?
Regards,
ChrisI laid the base that way because there were two "nipples" on the plate that set down into holes on the rail when placed like this.. I just realized those "nipples" are probably bolt remnants. LOL.
I haven't touched the pans yet, other than to put water in them the other day to check for leaks. each had one small one. I have to wait for the weather to break to clean them.
Thanks for the input!

Maker is right...flip that base plate over so the flange is up...it should fit inside your stack base...would use 8"...
I'm going to make one attempt at creating my own base stack. So I guess I can go 7" or 8", depending how this comes out.

Tidajo
01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
You can calculate the area of the opening in the base and the pipe should be at least that big.
Chris

Just did the math. The 16 X 4 opening in the base = 64 square inches
7" round duct= 38 square inches
8" round duct= 50 square inches
9" = 64 square inches
10" = 78 sq."

So I guess that even 8" duct is too small? But looking at Leaders page that Schiefe4 shared, 7" should be fine for my size arch.
It doesn't really matter to me. I just don't want to get something like this wrong.

Sugarmaker
01-23-2015, 08:24 PM
I am not there to measure but the 16 x 4 may not be 64 sq inches. I think you may have a 8 x 4 area and a 4 inch circle.
8x4 = 32 + 4 inch circle = 12.5 = 32 +12.5 = 44.5
I would use the 8 inch stack. Your total stack height needs to be about 12 feet give or take some.
How is the base stack coming? I would lay it out using some cardboard first to get the pattern correct. As you have to go from the base which is not round to a full round. Helps to make the base stack in two halves. I made front of arch half and back of arch half and then pop riveted the overlap.

Regards,
Chris