PDA

View Full Version : What pump will work with this setup?

WoznicaSyrup
01-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Hello, I'm new to this site and have been reading about all kinds of different setups you all use. This year were planning on 100 taps for our season. I use plastic spiles and run tubing from the tree to buckets that sit on the ground. I use two 5 gallon buckets to collect and last year I'd haul them up on the truck, sometimes making 5 or 6 trips per stop, and empty into a 275 plastic tote. This year I'm looking to cut down on the collection time and labor. I'd like to have a small tank on the tailgate of my truck, powered by trailer wiring with a hose running up to the 275 gal tote. I'm looking for the pump to be around 1100-1200 gph. Any ideas on which pump would be best or if this is even possible? Thanks in advance for the help!

brookledge
01-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Do a search on line for 12 volt bilge pump. The best option for you is to make a small dump station on your reciever hitch it will be easier to dump into rather than your tailgate. Then the bilge pump can just sit into your dump tank and pump into your 275 tote while you are going for another pail. Make your dump tank big enough to hold the pails you carry each time to the truck. You should be able to get 12 volt supply right at the trailer plug then you can unplug it when not needed. Bilge pumps are designed to run without a constant flow so it should work good for you. They can be purchased pretty cheap.
Keith

ericjeeper
01-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Any brand of bilge pump should work fine..

WoznicaSyrup
01-21-2015, 10:14 PM
I did a search for mule pumps, a popular brand I found on here and there was concern about oil and grease leaking into the sap. Is this a huge concern? What wiring is necessary to hook the pump up to the trailer wiring?

Ghs57
01-23-2015, 02:34 AM
I have a similar situation, and was concerned about not using a food grade pump. But the ones I found are slow and generally expensive for a small operation. Bilge pumps are cheaper, but are they ok? I have similar concerns for collection containers.

n8hutch
01-23-2015, 06:43 AM
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-9468-remco-powerrv-5200-rv-water-pump-12vdc-60-psi.aspx?utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Product&utm_term=5267-1E1-80A&gclid=CPiMu-aYxsICFQcOaQodtYUA2A. This is the pump I went with