PDA

View Full Version : tie spacing

calvertbrothers
01-21-2015, 12:53 PM
I know this sounds dumb but how fare apart do you space out your ties for main line I have been doing mine like every 10"s. I'm using a lot of ties and it takes forever to do just 500'

unc23win
01-21-2015, 12:56 PM
I like mine 15"-18" apart when I first install line. Then I go back and put more on if needed after installing saddles. I can do about 4 a minute. You using a hand auto tie?

BreezyHill
01-21-2015, 01:42 PM
We do ours at 18" for 1" as we pull the tubing tight and then tie to the wire for added support. IT does take time...a lot of time.

calvertbrothers
01-21-2015, 02:32 PM
I like mine 15"-18" apart when I first install line. Then I go back and put more on if needed after installing saddles. I can do about 4 a minute. You using a hand auto tie?
I use the hand swivel kind and I do have the pull one but it hurts my shoulders " to many motocross accidents"

calvertbrothers
01-21-2015, 02:33 PM
We do ours at 18" for 1" as we pull the tubing tight and then tie to the wire for added support. IT does take time...a lot of time.
What about about 1 1/4"

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-21-2015, 04:16 PM
I do mine about 10" apart.

JoeJ
01-21-2015, 04:51 PM
I secure the main line at both ends with pipe tension grips and space wire ties 18". Probably could go 24"

Shiftman
01-21-2015, 05:26 PM
I do mine at 18" too. On the 1 1/4" we go more. Calvert, like you, we are getting big too. What we have been doing is going every 3 ft. or so and I will fill it in during the season when I have more time. I would rather have the lines up and half working then not up at all! We finished all the tubing last weekend, just some saddles left. We have the pullers and I can do about 8/min.

calvertbrothers
01-21-2015, 06:24 PM
I do mine at 18" too. On the 1 1/4" we go more. Calvert, like you, we are getting big too. What we have been doing is going every 3 ft. or so and I will fill it in during the season when I have more time. I would rather have the lines up and half working then not up at all! We finished all the tubing last weekend, just some saddles left. We have the pullers and I can do about 8/min.

I was thinking the something today when i was tying. i'm about half done with my 1 1/4'' line. But i had to stop early today and meet with my forester. And went through the woods with him and one of my ratchet tighteners let loose and broke. He seen me lose it because that was a very long stretch of line. I think i'm going to break it down in sections and do it every 3 feet or so to get it going like you said. If i didn't have bad luck i wouldn't have any luck at all...

Dennis H.
01-21-2015, 06:25 PM
I try to keep mine space to about 12". A little closer where a saddle is located or where the mainline has a side pull wire. I pull my mainline nice and tight before all the wire ties are installed and at the locations of the side tie wires I usually have to pull the mainline over to the wire so I a feel a few more is better here.

I have both the pull style wire tie tool and the hand winding kind and find that the hand winding kind works best for me, I find I have a little more feel to how tight the wire tie is and end up not breaking as many wire ties when installing.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-21-2015, 07:39 PM
I've seen bows from summer heat, we do every 8" now.

mellondome
01-21-2015, 08:54 PM
If you hang in this weather, you need to make sure you stretch the 3% of expansion out of the pipe or it will snake in the summer heat.

If you are still having issues with wire and tighteners breaking, you are putting toooo much tension on the wire. If it is breaking from hanging , imagine what will happen when a limb or a tree falls across it.

For tying, I go 8" on 3/4" and 1". 6" on larger pipe as they weight more and have more material for expansion ( and usually on the edges of the bush where it gets more heat.)

adk1
01-21-2015, 09:06 PM
I have mine tied about every 6"