PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Blanket Question....

theschist
01-21-2015, 11:11 AM
I want to boost the efficiency of my Mason 2X4XL. I have it bricked with half bricks in the entire arch. Can I lay 2" Ceramic blanket in the arch on top of the bricks to boost insulation, or is it better to remove the bricks and lay the blanket underneath? I used refractory cement to put my bricks in so it will be a PITA to remove them. Thanks in advance!!

Schiefe4
01-21-2015, 02:38 PM
remove brick. insulate arch. replace brick.

TerryEspo
01-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Sad to say, yes, remove the brick, insulate against inside wall, re-brick.

The good news is it is well worth the effort. After insulating you could rub up against the side of the arch, don't get close even if not insulated. I have heard people actually heat their sugar shacks from the heat loss from no insulation in the arch. By chance maybe you do enjoy/utilize the heat from the arch and may decide NOT to insulate.

Fire brick is not an insulator, bricks are there to protect the steel, not insulate.

Hope that helps.

Terry

Dennis H.
01-21-2015, 06:30 PM
The blanket will not hold up well if if get bumped with wood or brush when cleaning the bottom of the pans.
The best way is to protect it with fire brick so in your case the brick should be removed. Besides ceramic blanket there is also arch board. It is not as good as ceramic blanket in my mind but since arch board is not soft like blanket I feel it supports the brick better.