PDA

View Full Version : electric sap pump?

CrossBroMaple
01-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Looking to replace the sap pump I use to empty the gathering tank into our storage tank...it also transfers our lower tank into the upper tank for gravity feed to our evap. would like to stay electric motor driven, less than 1 hp, any suggestions? Or pros and cons of the gould pump leader sells? Thanks

brookledge
01-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Any of the electric pumps that the maple manufactuers list will cost a pretty penny. First question is will it be kept from freezing? Plastic housings may crack. How many gpm do you need? You might be able to use an electric shallow well pump. yuo also need to remember some centrifical pumps are self priming and some are not. A rotary gear pump will definately not need priming.
Just some things to think about.
Keith

Brassua
01-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Will this pump work for pumping sap from one storage tank to another?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-stainless-steel-transfer-utility-pump-1-hp

brookledge
01-21-2015, 05:15 PM
yes it will but it is not very big. about 500 gph or 8 gpm. I gues it all depends on how much sap you need to move. you need to determine how much sap and how fast you want to move it and then you can size the proper pump for your needs
Keith

SeanD
01-21-2015, 07:34 PM
I use the Wayne PLS 100 pump and highly recommend it. It has a stainless steel housing and it is very strong and quiet.

Sean

CrossBroMaple
01-22-2015, 11:17 AM
thanks for the ideas, I did look at that one from tractor supply, but I am going with rebuilding an older Gould pump I have laying around. it moves good sap but I am going to have to prefilter the sap with a 30 mesh strainer to make sure I don't plug up the impeller. and bring them in on those sub freezing nights.