PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pans

Paul VT
01-19-2015, 12:47 PM
So I know this has been discussed before but looking for input. I believe my pans are lead soldered. I did the lead test and it faintly turned red so I'm assuming they are lead soldered. If so I would rather not use acid to clean them. I have tried using permeate twice with little results. I have tried leaving sap in the pans. Worked ok but looked gross enough to gag a magot! I won't do that again. I have not tried vinager but should be like using acid. I have scrubbed and heated and let sit and my pans still don't look clean. What are others using on lead soldered pans? I'm not worried about acid eating the solder just the lead entering the syrup. I have hard water here. After test boils before it has left a white coating. Wondering if this is enough to skim coat the lead? Any thought?
Thanks.

Sugarmaker
01-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Are these stainless pans?
I would use white vinegar and water solution. example: 3 x 5 pan full of water, use 3 gallons of vinegar. Heat gently not boil let set several days. and then scrub with stiff brush.

Regards,
Chris

Paul VT
01-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Yes. They are stainless. I left that detail out. Sorry.

Maplesapper
01-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Someone here once suggested leaving the last bit of syrup in the pan and letting it decay right in the pan.
We added about 5 gallons of water and let it sit for 2 months.
It smelled disgusting, and looked nasty.
Simply washed it out with a garden hose.
Unbelieveable. !!!
Pans look brand new and shiny

Paul VT
01-21-2015, 07:43 PM
I tried this once. It did work ok but like you said. It was nasty! I don't think I want to try that again. Bought 6 gallons of vinegar tonight. Think I will try that.
Someone here once suggested leaving the last bit of syrup in the pan and letting it decay right in the pan.
We added about 5 gallons of water and let it sit for 2 months.
It smelled disgusting, and looked nasty.
Simply washed it out with a garden hose.
Unbelieveable. !!!
Pans look brand new and shiny