PDA

View Full Version : Double barrel evaporator unveiling

mudr
01-19-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi guys and gals,
First off, thank you for the treasure trove of information available on here. You were a huge help. I just got done painting my evaporator. I had plans to make the standard 55 gallon, two steam pan evaporator. Then I went to my dad to get a barrel and he said take two. I said I only needed one. He said heck, make it bigger. So I did, and brazed the two open ends. Here's the info.
-4 steam pans
-vogelzang deluxe kit
-custom (ghetto-rific?) Frame and wheels
-2 inch ceramic throughout
-half bricks lining the firebox over the blanket. Finished box is about 16 inches deep.
-Homemade grate at the bottom of the door yet above the ash clean out that I will keep mostly open for air intake
-I built a frame inside the barrels and laid the blanket on it. This forms the back of the firebox and pushes up the exhaust under the pans. I think there is about 4 inches of space.

Let's see if I can find the photos and post from my phone....

mudr
01-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Hmm. Tapatalk did not upload all my photos, let's see if I can get one more, preferably an action shot. Also, the combination of cell phone pic quality and wet paint makes the evaporator look worse than it actually is.

Bucket Head
01-19-2015, 02:15 PM
It looks good, nice job.

And your father was right- few people have ever said their evaporator was too big! Lol.

Good luck with it.

Steve

mudr
01-21-2015, 02:56 PM
I have one quick question on my build shown above. How do you guys get the 6 inch stack to stay into the Vogelzang cast iron base? Mine does not have holes drilled to accept sheet metal screws into the stack pipe. It seems very wobbly.

ericjeeper
01-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Drill 3 holes in the cast ring/

epd0407
02-21-2015, 12:16 PM
What did you use for insulation closing the holes up?

mudr
02-21-2015, 12:22 PM
You mean around the pans? The same ceramic blanket. Just peeled it apart to make thinner strips

TerryEspo
02-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Looks like a keeper, nice job and good luck this season.:cool:

Terry

DJ Lasell
04-08-2015, 02:36 PM
looks nice.. Is the ceramic to preserve energy by channeling heat to the pans, or to protect the barrel?

Do you think the chaffing pans are more efficient than a flat pan?

sluggish
10-05-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm curious when I see units that size. What are you using for firewood? Regular 12-16" pieces or do you use long lengths and shove them right to the back? If you use smaller pieces, do you have multiple doors to put the wood in?