PDA

View Full Version : 275gal Tote/tank capacity measurements & Cleaning

rhwells2003
01-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Has anyone taken these 275gal caged tanks and figured out how far off the bottom is 50gal, 100gal, 150gal, 200gal, 250gal? I'm just getting setup, and will have 400 or so taps. So I picked up two of these tanks and am going to plumb them together so I was thinking about in the piping doing a clear stand pipe to show sap level and have gradations on it so I know how much sap is in there.

Also picked these tanks up and of course they haven't been completely cleaned out. The guy I got them from said he got them from a place that uses them for vegetable oil. Well with the by-product residue on the bottom and only a 6" cover I'm really struggling getting it cleaned out? Any hints? I tried dumping 30gal of hot water in both of them to get it softened up and then just hose it out, but I don't feel the hose has enough pressure to really push it out, so the outlet just kept getting plugged. Thinking about just taking them to a car wash and using their high pressure hot water. Any thoughts?

rhwells2003
01-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Sorry by the way, totally meant to put this in the sap tank and storage section. Accidentally put it in the tubing section.

TrentonMaple
01-19-2015, 12:21 PM
I had the same issues with mine. Of course, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I waited until December and freezing temps to try and clean mine out. Here's what worked for me:

In an enclosed garage with a salamander heater blasting -
You need a pressure washer, preferably an electric one that doesn't need to run constantly like a gas engine. Hose out the inside with the back edge propped up with a brick and the drain valve open.
Boil a huge kettle of water, close drain.
Dump in boiling water and half a bottle of liquid dish soap.
I used a metal broom handle with a threaded scrub brush to scrub it out using the hot soapy water. I bent the broom handle to a very shallow J shape which let me get into the corners.
Scrub out the bottom. Then flip it over and scrub each side, rotating the cube.
The hot water should loosen the congealed, polymerized vegtable oil crud.
Repeat as needed
Rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse.

mellondome
01-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Dish washer detergent will be more effective than liquid dish soap. It will break down the oils instead of suspending them.

SeanD
01-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Don't panic. Everyone has something last minute going on and we all make it one way or another.

Check the sides of the totes carefully. There are usually marks for the increments molded into the plastic. I'll go measure mine and get back to you.

Personally, I use way less soap - just enough to see a hint of soap bubbles. It's usually a drop or two per 5 gal. Soap is just as much a PITA to rinse out as oils.

Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW) is fantastic for getting out oils and other organic residue and it rinses out very well.

For hot water, hook a hose up to your hot water heater and run the hose out the cellar window.

Sean

SeanD
01-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Looks like 25 gallons every 3.25 inches, give or take an eighth.

Sean

wiam
01-19-2015, 09:10 PM
I have heard but have no proof that car washes recycle their water. I would not put that in a sap tank.

morningstarfarm
01-19-2015, 09:29 PM
If these are going to be stationary tanks in your shack then I would take a saws all and cut the top off the tanks...makes them much much easier to clean...

maple flats
01-20-2015, 04:50 AM
For capacity, mine have marks on the valve side for gallons. They are close enough, but only if the tank is level. Since the top mark shows 275 (down a little from the top) but I fill all the way to the top, I call mine 280 when totally full. If you are hauling them, full carries far better than 2/3 full because the load is then static weight. If not full, be very careful on cornering and at stops.

Greenthumb
01-20-2015, 06:15 AM
While we are on this topic. As a admiddited procrastinator does the same techniques work for mint. This past weekend as the temp hit 40 here I figured it would be a great time to clean out two clear 55 gallon drums I picked up of course a few months ago. The guy I bought them from of course said they where food use containers. He was right. I opened one and it must have come from a ice cream dairy. It had to be a mint contsiner. Our whole property smelled of mint. I used hot water, bleach, and than some vinegar. Still smells but better. I even hooked up a electric leaf blower to one of the bung holes and sucked air out of it for about 4 hours. Still can smell mint. Any other ideas. This barrel my end up being used for watering the garden I'm afreid. Not sure mint sap would be a hint. Although the yuppies may by it if I bottled it.

adk1
01-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Mint is a strong flavor for sure. I would avoid it really.

handtapper
01-20-2015, 06:45 AM
I would use detergent and a small amount of it. If you dont have a carwash id do the pressure washer and brush. I would do a car wash with heated water on a above freezing day. I would take a 5 gallon bucket and trace the bottom of the bucket onto the top of the tote. Cut out the template and sink the 5 gallon bucket into the hole. Drill holes in bucket. You now have a 12" filler that can support a filter instead of 6". Also you dont have to deal with covering a open top

rhwells2003
01-20-2015, 03:01 PM
I would use detergent and a small amount of it. If you dont have a carwash id do the pressure washer and brush. I would do a car wash with heated water on a above freezing day. I would take a 5 gallon bucket and trace the bottom of the bucket onto the top of the tote. Cut out the template and sink the 5 gallon bucket into the hole. Drill holes in bucket. You now have a 12" filler that can support a filter instead of 6". Also you dont have to deal with covering a open top

Wow this is a pretty good idea!

handtapper
01-20-2015, 06:13 PM
I would like to add I have never seen a tote that is not marked with graduations. They should be molded into the front (drain side). Im sure there are some somewhere I just havent ever seen one. Regardless your not making furniture here so you dont have to be that precise. 275 is close to full so 135 is half mark that. Then mark the lower part half way down again and write 65. Now do the same on top half and mark 200.

Bucket Head
01-20-2015, 11:27 PM
The bucket/filter idea is a good one! But if you don't plan on filtering like that, you could do what I do. I cut the 6" hole right out. I cut an approximate 18" square out of it. That way I can lay the tank on its side, wiggle and wriggle myself in to about my waist, and then I can reach in to hand-scrub every side and corner of the tank. I roll the thing and do each side individually. I do this with "new to me" tanks and then with the larger opening its easier to scrub brush/mop and hose them out after sap use. As for filtering, I use a dairy "sock-type" filter over the end of my discharge hose.

And don't worry about losing sap out of the larger opening if your using it to transport sap. I used a cage tank for years in the pick-up. The only way you lose sap is if you fill it up to the point where there is no space left at the top. And even at that its very minimal. The normal sloshing is still contained.

Steve

wiam
01-21-2015, 05:17 AM
I have cut round holes and put a 16" threaded cover in the opening. You can get the cover and part that is screwed into bigger tanks at Bascom's. The part that screws to tank will just barely fit on lower flat part of tank top.

arcticair
02-25-2015, 11:09 PM
I have cleaned a few of these IBC totes , i use my power electric washer , put a 90 degree elbow on the end ( found in the air tool dept , fits the threaded end of your wand ) i can interchange my washer tips with ease . i mix dish soap with water to thin it and add it to the wash tank on the power washer . With the elbow on the end of wand you will be able to wash the top of the tank easily . I drain as i wash the entire tank , then rinse and drain . I then fill the tank and add a box of baking soda , let it sit for 24 hrs and drain the tank, the baking soda will cut the soap from the tank .