PDA

View Full Version : Mild Steel or 300$ stainless pan?

Chris-tragakes
01-18-2015, 03:12 PM
I know I have been posting a lot but I'm trying to get everything right. I was wondering about using mild steel as a pan because then I could make the pan myself and this would be a lot cheaper than a $300 stainless steel pan from one of the manufactures around me and what's the deal with selling it if the syrup is made in a mild steel pan? Is it okay if I'm not selling the syrup large-scale and just selling to friends and neighbors? What are the hazards of mild steel and why is it not acceptable to sell if you use you use mild steel?

wiam
01-18-2015, 03:56 PM
I would not eat rusty syrup.

Chris-tragakes
01-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Yes but I see people clean them oil them and then boil sugar water over it to coat it! Does that not work?

morningstarfarm
01-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Go right ahead and use mild steel...just clean it real well then boil it with vinegar and then rinse well and make syrup immediately...when you are done just rinse pan and boil with some vinegar when you boil next...I still use the one I started with 10 years ago....makes great syrup....just don't use flux core wire to weld it....good luck

WESTMAPLES
01-18-2015, 04:42 PM
spend the money on the stainless pan, then you don`t have to do all the special cleaning or take the risk of it rusting. yes stainless is not cheap but money well spent as it will last along time if taken care of. do it right once, and be done with it good luck

Sugarmaker
01-18-2015, 05:42 PM
If you can make a set of pans from mild steel, maybe you can take the next step and make your own stainless pans?? Mig welding stainless is a possibility.
Regards,
Chris

Big_Eddy
01-19-2015, 08:08 AM
To the OP - what are your goals? As said above - $300 is not a large investment if you figure you could have the pan for 40+ years, and can sell it at any time for essentially what it originally cost you. On the flip side - if you have the skills, you can make your own mild steel pan for <$50 and be boiling tomorrow.

My advice on the question of mild steel pans is always the same. It works, it's cheap, if you want to give making syrup a try and funds are tight, go for it. The syrup will be just as good as in a stainless pan, and despite what some may say, with reasonable care you will not have any problems with rust or contaminants.
However, if you know you'll be making syrup for years to come and you're planning to make any significant investment in maple (i.e. flue pan) - go stainless and save yourself a step.

As for making your own out of stainless - it can be done, but there is a significant investment in welding skills required to be able to accomplish sanitary welds on thin stainless.

adk1
01-19-2015, 08:13 AM
Go stainless all the way.

bowtie
01-19-2015, 09:28 AM
there are lots of guys out there using older pans, some even have lead in them, but like most said the amount of care for a mid steel pan is ten-fold stainless. look around there are a lot of used pans out there, heck I have a flat 2x4 mason that I am would take $200 for, it has a some slight scorching but really just needs to cleaned, and there are plenty others out there. I have said it before and will continue to say it, this is not a cheap hobby and once bitten by the bug it only gets worse. you will be better off and happier with a ss pan in the long run. like most small producers or hobbyists you probably have limited time to spend on maple, you will be better served spending that on collecting and boiling vs cleaning and tending to a pan. not sure if you mentioned it earlier but what size arch do you have, how many taps are planning on running etc., believe me if the last thing you want to do is worry about your pan after an all day boil. that said everybody has a budget to stick to, at least that is what my wife tells me. we do this to have fun and experience a time honored tradition, don't make it to complicated .

Chris-tragakes
01-19-2015, 04:41 PM
I have a 275 oil tank for an arch, and I have the capabilities to have a 100 taps! It is difficult to find people willing to weld a 2x3 or 2x4 SS pan. And it is also hard to find a used pan near me. As I am only 17 and don't have the budget to be driving all over and buy a pan! Haha and will continuos flow pan be better and more efficient than a flat pan? Won't a mild steel pan boil hotter therefore being more efficient or increasing my gph?

Smitty8377
01-19-2015, 07:44 PM
I think your best bet is smokylake he's really great and has good products. He custom makes a lot of different things. He's got a great 4x6. reasonably priced I'd try to borrow a few bucks and even promise some maple syrup to family for the loan.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x4-Continuous-Flow-Maple-Syrup-Pan-Evaporator-/151280081857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2338fedbc1
You can buy it off his site for $575.00 with free shipping https://www.smokylakemaple.com/product/continuous-flow-flat-pan/
Heck I had put mine on a oil tank the year I got mine!

psparr
01-19-2015, 07:59 PM
continuous flow will not affect efficiency, but yes, mild steel will transfer heat better than stainless. I have read on here as to the care of a mild steel pan, is to not clean it. Just rinse it out at the end of the season, dry it, and put it up in the rafters or somewhere dry upside down. Spending a lot of money on maple equipment makes it less fun. Although a flue pan would make my life easier. Someday...

newmod
01-19-2015, 08:03 PM
I have been using homemade mild steel pans without any problem. Welded them up myself. Only bad part is that when you sweeten the pan you cant leave sap in it overnight to use the next day. The pan will rust. Otherwise it works great
Newmod

TerryEspo
01-19-2015, 09:15 PM
My first year I bought an old crappy arch and an old steel pan. Had a ball boiling and made great syrup, it started from that. I did go to stainless the very next year and am happy I did, the mild steel pan was work to maintain. I used the mild steel pan first year to be sure I was going to enjoy making syrup,,,,,LMAO,,,totally hooked and will make syrup as long as I can walk to bush. If mild steel is all you can do this year, do it.

Whatever you do, keep it fun and enjoy the season.
Good luck.

Terry

Maple Hill
01-20-2015, 06:04 AM
[QUOTE=Chris-tragakes;264620]I have a 275 oil tank for an arch, and I have the capabilities to have a 100 taps! It is difficult to find people willing to weld a 2x3 or 2x4 SS pan.

Give Melnicks Metal Works a call in Bristol Ct. It wouldn't hurt to get a price. 860-583-7982 Good Luck

Pauly V
01-20-2015, 11:51 AM
I have used Melnicks before. I live in Bristol. Great guys and fair!

BranchHillMaple
01-25-2015, 06:45 PM
I agree with a stainless pan, last year was my first year and I searched craigslist high and low for a pan and finally found a grim lightning syrup pan for 100$ it needed a little work but worked for the first year and got me hooked. Now I have a 2 piece pan set from smokey lake there great people to work with and very competitive with there pricing.

Blocmi
01-27-2015, 07:35 AM
I made a mild steel pan. It didn't work. It would always leech rust into the sap while boiling. Don't waste your time and money, go with stainless.

bushmoose
01-28-2015, 01:45 PM
I made a mild steel pan. It didn't work. It would always leech rust into the sap while boiling. Don't waste your time and money, go with stainless.

Obviously then you have done something wrong? As has been said on this site from a multitude of folks, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mild steel for a pan. Mine gets washed and scrubbed a bit (Only on the inside) at the beginning of the season. The outside stays soot coated the way it came off the fire, year after year and year.... When the boiling is done for the year, I don't touch the inside whatsoever, but simply hang it on a couple of nails on the outside wall of the shed. There it sits until next year. I've had compliments on my syrup from many an old timer who I would consider expert at making syrup. I would (and have) recommend mild steel to anyone.