PDA

View Full Version : adding motor oil to your wood fire arch

calvertbrothers
01-18-2015, 09:04 AM
I have 5, 55 gallon drums full of used motor oil. I was thinking of running a stainless line from a 55 gallon drum to in the arch, with a valve and let it trickle on to the fire. Just wondering if anyone has done this before.

WESTMAPLES
01-18-2015, 09:31 AM
I wouldn`t do it in the evaporator, I have a mini outdoor wood boiler I built to heat my building, it has a oil dripper but I use it very little due to the smell and dioxens it puts out when burning the waste oil, and I don`t burn just straight oil its more of a 40% old gas and 60% oil mix.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-18-2015, 11:54 AM
My Dad did it for years. It made any wood burn, ice and all. It raised the devil with the grates if it was dripping on them instead of the wood. Would I do it now? Probably not, you can never be sure of what is in that used oil and as it burns there may be things emitted....

wiam
01-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Not legal in Vermont to burn used oil. Check with your state.

sap-evap-orrator
01-31-2015, 10:16 AM
That is just wrong on so many levels... mainly environmental. We are not farmers from the 1950's. Please don't do it. Get yourself some good dry wood, that will give you all the heat you need

WESTMAPLES
01-31-2015, 10:38 AM
or buy yourself a waste oil burner unit like a clean burn. they are ul listed and safe for the environment so they say anyway. in MA they are legal after proper inspection by fire Marshall and can`t be any-worse than the coal rolling/ cylinder washing diesel pickup trucks poeple drive these days . PS dry slab wood is best way as sap-evap said