PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Old sap in mainline

Longyearfarm
01-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Last year was my first year using a mainline pipe in our woods instead of lots of tubing going to buckets. I learned a lot. I learned that slope is so very important. The other day I was trying to change a 200' section of pipe to increase my slope, I had to cut my pipe. To my horror I saw(and smelled) striven sap from last year. I was under the assumption that st the end of the season, the sap would gradually run out the end to the ground. This was not the case. I understand that the slope wasn't great in this spot which made the gravity system fail, but what do I do now? Can I let the sap from this year push the cruddy stuff out and let it spill to the ground before attempting to collect it? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Moser's Maple
01-18-2015, 08:41 AM
don't freak out....just let the first little run go on the ground to flush out the system. you may get some other crud after this, but it all filters, and all boils...you'll be fine

Longyearfarm
01-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Well that's music to my ears jake. Thanks. I was sick to my stomach with the thought of having to replace this pipe because it was contaminated.

Matt

morningstarfarm
01-18-2015, 02:50 PM
That's the major down side to tubing systems...watching that first days run hit the ground....kills me every year!

Longyearfarm
01-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Does 1 good run usually flush it out pretty good? I'd hate to see 2 good runs going to the dirt

morningstarfarm
01-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Doesnt matter if they are flushed or not...you still get slime in them...just let then run for a day and then boil it...like I said...it sucks every season...