PDA

View Full Version : surprise, Murphy cup instructions?

maple flats
01-17-2015, 06:38 AM
As seems to be the case in everything made for the maple industry, the instructions leave us wondering.
I got a Smoky Lake Murphy Cup, but as is typical, the directions leaves me wondering. The idea is fantastic, have a hydrometer cup with a thermometer in it, but change the face of the thermometer to show what the density should read at the current temperature of the contents. My question that is not addressed is "what specific density is it designed for?" There seems to be a wide range that is used in the industry, from 66% up to 68.9%. I like to have my syrup at 67 +/- .1 but with no definition on the Murphy Cup I have no way to know how to proceed.
Does anyone know what density the scale on the Murphy Cup is designed at?
The cup itself looks great, well made, very neat, perfect welds, heavy base and so on, but the directions?

adk1
01-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Pretty pretty sure I heard 66.9

Schiefe4
01-17-2015, 07:03 AM
See the red line ("hot") on the gauge. 66.9 is the calibrated density. I believe you can calibrate the gauge as well? Might be able to adjust the value to your desired density? Place hot water and adjust at red line or safely place ice water and adjust at the blue line.

adk1
01-17-2015, 05:01 PM
The cup is calibrated at the cold test. Was tol to put water and ice in the cup to calibrated

relseek
01-17-2015, 05:54 PM
I too purchased one of these and I must say it looks quite impressive. To answer your question Flats, Jim Schumacher responded to this thread below saying that it is calibrated to 66.9

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?24064-Hell-of-a-guy-that-Jim-Schumacher!&highlight=Murphy+cup

maple flats
01-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks, that's perfect for me. I was hoping it was 70.0 +/- .1, that falls right where I wanted it.

adk1
01-18-2015, 07:34 AM
I would like to know how quick it reads the sample. I have heard varying results