PDA

View Full Version : bulkhead fittings for leg tanks

Greenthumb
01-17-2015, 05:57 AM
I have a 65 gallon leg tank from tsc that I will be using as my head tank. It says the bulk head fitting is 3/4. Are bulk head threads npt and I can find valves and such for it at a big box store or will it be more of a guessing game. I need a shut off valve a and a t to send sap to the float box of the smokey lake and also route sap to the homemade ro and tank if I am using the ro.

adk1
01-17-2015, 07:01 AM
Should find fittings at Tsc?

SeanD
01-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Yes, most bulkhead fittings I've seen are npt. If it doesn't specifically tell you, it's safe to assume that it is.

Sean

maple flats
01-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Unless specified otherwise, the threads will be NPT. be sure the use thread tape to seal, make 3 wraps and turn the valve in by hand. Usually they need little more than hand tight, don't over tighten them using a big pipe wrench or a smaller one with a pipe extention handle. They can fail if overtightened. Just go easy and they will work fine. It is a good idea to support what you attach so it doesn't stress the plastic, just place a simple support under the valve train.

BreezyHill
01-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Be careful with Teflon tape on fittings if using pumps without a filter first in line. That tape wraps on shafts and eats seals quick. Plumbers dope is much safer and food approved for the non profession plumber that most producers are.