PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on sap collection tank

TrentonMaple
01-14-2015, 12:43 PM
So this is my first year with tubing. I will have about 100 taps on 3/16 and 5/16 tubing that will be collected via 2 mainlines that converge on a center collection tank.

For the collection tank, I have a 275gal IBC on a pallet at the base of my steeply sloped sugarbush. I will then need to pump the sap back up and over the hill to my sugarhouse. It is about a 50ft. elevation change back up the hill. 275gal is a lot of sap for my little outfit; only on the heaviest few days could I need that capacity. Then again, my yield may increase with tubing, esp the 3/16th.

Does anyone have opinions as to the pros and cons of IBCs as collection tanks? Versus a galvanized or polyethylene stock tank? I will need to buy several fittings for the IBC to be able to drop the sap into the top from the mainline, and then to pump it out the bottom. Also, the IBC is tall, and therefore that required me to raise my mainlines to about 5' high to get them to empty into the top, which then means on my lowest maples I have to tap them rather high off the ground. I was thinking with the stock tank, it would be lower, allowing me to make more slope in my mainline, and I could use a simple 90 elbow to connect the mainline to pour into the top (rather than buying a threaded cap for the IBC). Also I could pump out sap easier without buying a buttress connector for the bottom valve on the IBC.

It seems like the IBCs work better as sap storage up at the sugarhouse rather then out in the woods. Anybody have any experiences or opinions?

unc23win
01-14-2015, 12:54 PM
I think you answered your own question. With the height issue, the fittings, and the pumping sounds to me that the a stock tank would make all of those issues easier to deal with. IBCs are nice in that the affordable and handy in many ways. They are not as easy to pump out of nor are they easy to clean. I know a lot of people who get them set up somewhat permanent cut the top so there is a bigger opening for submersible pumps and it makes them easier to clean.

Maplewalnut
01-14-2015, 01:59 PM
I have used IBCs in the past. Good tank in a pinch but as you allude to, not ideal. I also found the bottom valve does not like to freeze and will eventually crack and leak sap. As will any plastic fitting you attach at the bottom. I used a pump to pump out of mine instead of using the bottom valve. Pain in the neck, tank just high enough you have to lean in uncomfortably to get a pump hose in top.

Mike

adk1
01-14-2015, 03:28 PM
well for one thing, do not use galvanized. I use the 275 gal tank as you do as my sap tank. its a PITA when you goto clean it though, otherwise it works. I need another one since I will be on vac this year, there were times last year that my 275 gall tank would be **** close to full on my 225 taps that go into it.

cncaboose
01-14-2015, 03:54 PM
We use a 275 tote on 220 gravity taps with good success. No top fittings. Two 3/4" main lines fit neatly in the center hole of the cap. On real good days we have to empty twice. We set up the drain valve with a quick connect to our gas pump to pump up into another tote on the road side truck. I think that your proposed setup is doable but you will need a pretty good pump to pump 50' over the hill. You will like the yields with the 3/16" tubing.

DrTimPerkins
01-14-2015, 06:58 PM
well for one thing, do not use galvanized.

I second that. A galvanized "stock" tank is for livestock. It is not intended to be used as a food-grade or water potable storage tank for sap.

BreezyHill
01-14-2015, 09:37 PM
I have used many tote tanks for liquid feed at our customers farm operations. They work well for storage but as soon as you use a hole saw to install bung they seem to fail in a year or so. The walls are usually thin and don't with stand any vibration well at all.

I would use them as storage and fill at the cap...you can install a bung in the cap with no issues.

Use the valve bottom to empty. I have used a turko fitting to attach pipes when totes have had nonstandard thread sizes. Plumbers dope on the threads will make a great seal if you have leaks.

On the other hand nothing beats a recycled dairy milk tank. Easy to wash. We don't even water our cattle in the galvanized tanks anymore. To many issues and the last one cost twice the plastic ones. Worst thing was the big bull thought it was fun to push it around the pasture like a toy. Shiny object syndrome I guess???

SeanD
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
We use a 275 tote on 220 gravity taps with good success. No top fittings. Two 3/4" main lines fit neatly in the center hole of the cap. On real good days we have to empty twice. We set up the drain valve with a quick connect to our gas pump to pump up into another tote on the road side truck. I think that your proposed setup is doable but you will need a pretty good pump to pump 50' over the hill. You will like the yields with the 3/16" tubing.

Ian, how do you deal with freezing at the drain valve? This season I set one up with quick connects as a truck tank and another one at the sugar house for collection. The truck tank will drain out each day, but the tank at the sugar house will likely have sap through freezing nights between boils and I haven't decided how to deal with that yet.

Sean

cncaboose
01-15-2015, 09:39 PM
You have all hexed me for sure. I have not had a problem with the valves freezing up in 2 seasons of use. Maybe because we empty the 2 woods tanks in the evening after the sap has run. There is usually very little sap in them overnight. Our holding tank at the sugar house is a 700 gallon milk tank which we empty with a submersible pump so frozen valves are not an issue there.