PDA

View Full Version : Outside tank covering

Maplewalnut
01-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Have stainless milk tank with no covers that is being shuffled to a remote bush. Anybody have anything creative (other than a piece of plywood...LOL) for making a cover for the tank? I will have it under cover (roof) next year but doubt I will get to it this season. It will be on vacuum so releaser will need dumping room.

Amber Gold
01-14-2015, 01:01 PM
I just have two sheets of metal roofing laid on top of my tank. You could do the same for this year, and then use the roofing for the tank shed. I thought of doing something more elaborate, but this works, and it's easily removable for cleaning.

unc23win
01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
I will just add to what Josh said it wouldn't take much more to frame the metal and put up a support say a cross member between posts and have it on hinges for easy opening and you might be able to prop it open to shed snow and rain one direction. Then recycle everything for the shed when its time. Just my thoughts.

killingworthmaple
01-14-2015, 02:33 PM
While on this subject does regular stainless sap tanks made by the maple producers have covers?

cncaboose
01-14-2015, 03:55 PM
How about a well secured tarp for this year?

tuckermtn
01-14-2015, 04:46 PM
we have covers with 2x4 and 1x3 strapping as a frame and new galvalume sheet metal covers on them.

and no, the round bottom tanks that maple dealers sell do NOT come with covers.

Walling's Maple Syrup
01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
we have covers with 2x4 and 1x3 strapping as a frame and new galvalume sheet metal covers on them.

and no, the round bottom tanks that maple dealers sell do NOT come with covers.

They don't come with covers, but D&G will fabricate covers for tanks they sell. Not sure if the other companies do, but I bought a 4'x 4'x8' s/s tank from D&G this year and they made a stainless cover in 2 pieces to fit it.
Mike, do you have any sheet metal shops down by you that can bend you a piece of stainless? S/S sheets are not terribly expensive.
Neil

Daryl
01-15-2015, 05:55 AM
I had 3rdGen build a tank 4w x 5h x12' long. He put 3 lids on it. The workmanship was really good.

Maplewalnut
01-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys. think I will just frame something out quickly as Eric suggests and go from there. Running out of time for these nice to have projects, tapping starts soon!

handtapper
01-16-2015, 03:34 PM
I built this shed for my new sap head tank. Only took me a few hours and under 150$ in material. The roof lifts up and sits on a pivoting rest like the hood of your car. I am going to put a removable flap for the front I just haven't fabricated that part yet. 10363

pipeline
01-17-2015, 04:55 AM
we used to build frame work out of 1x3 pine and cover with clear plastic sheeting lasted quite a while. light and easy to move off tank for cleaning.

maplehick
01-17-2015, 07:31 PM
This year i am runing behind with a new bush. New tanks, and all the things i over looked i dont have tops for two woods tanks. What im going to do is drive 1"conduit in to the ground every4' down the sides of the tanks and then use some old 1" main line to make hoops over the tank. Add 3 pieces of pipe inside the hoops running the lenght of the hoops for support with twist ties holding it in pos. Then add a tarp 6 to8' longer to close the ends.