PDA

View Full Version : Cream machine

Jim Brown
01-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Like everyone else I think 1000-1700 dollars is a lot to pay for a cream machine that only makes cream. I just bought the maple producers books and lo and behold there is a picture of a home made cream machine in the book. No instructions but I thik I can build on for couple hundred dollars. As I have found out most sugar makers are quite handy with the tin shears and motors and any thing else that we need .
hope this helps someone
Jim

mapleman3
01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Jim I went and looked at that exact machine, our coordinator of our assoc. is the the author of that section and the owner of the machine, that is what he uses all the time... he did a great job on it ! very well made, I am doing the same thing almost, not sure if I will have the intermediate pulley or not, all depends on the availability(free of course) of the jack shaft and pulleys.. I have the motor and maybe a pan... so I'm getting there, I want to have it built before sugar season.

ziggy
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
look in the for sale section. I have a used cream machine for sale there.

WF MASON
02-12-2007, 03:51 AM
I have a customer who used a canadian made one last year ,said he sold every jar he made , and the machine filled cases of the small jars in half an hour. He wrote down the specs of the five pcs needed , motor , gear reduction, gear pump, funnel and three way valve and made his own. I was amazed how simply it is and again another great idea from over the boarder. The stainless cover is there for safety and to keep prying eyes off whats under there.

maple flats
02-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Do you happen to have a picture of that one or what he made? No bowl nor paddles?

HanginAround
02-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Here's a thread on a similar commercial one (Lapierre) with some pics, but none of the innards. Dad and I have done a couple demos lately, 2 weeks ago at the New Brunswick Maple Syrup Assn. annual meeting, and Saturday at the Southeast NB Maple Producers meeting.

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=2173

MikeinCaz
02-20-2007, 05:48 AM
I would really like to have a picture of the home made cream/butter machine I saw at last year's Maple Fest in Marathon NY. In one of the buildings a friendly couple were handing out samples made from this machine. From what I remember it had an electric motor with at least one belt that drove a lazy susan with an attached bowl; the wooden paddles (2) were adjustable... This type of machine would suit the hobbist not commercial producers, even though they made a lot of product.

Does anyone have a similar set up with photos or know how I may reach someone in Marathon who may be able to forward a photo?
Thanks,
Mike

danno
04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I believe those folks in Marathon also put on a demonstration with their machine at this years Verona conferance. The session was well attended and I think some of us there are now in the process of trying to built our own. I've got my 1/3 hp motor and now that things have slowed down it's time to find that jack shaft so I can finish it off and make some cream.

They have been using their machine forever. They use a piece of milk hose to connect the motor to the shaft - which came outr of an old washing machine and the paddles were home made. They swear by 60 rpm or less.

maple flats
04-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, it looks like a fairly simple item to make. Just need a way either by belts and pulleys or gearbox to reduce the rpm. That seminar in Verona said 60 rpm max, but 40 was better if I took notes correctly. I must make time to build one sometime.
Dave

MaplePancakeMan
04-28-2007, 10:33 PM
i am looking at a high torqued electric motor which has a rating of 55rpms, if i attach paddles to the shaft of this motor... that would be good for a cream machine?