PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Stove Evaporator

Shaggy acres
01-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Thought about it last year but didn't put much time or effort into it. In theory it should consume much less wood due to the efficient operation of the rocket type stove.

First rocket stove attempt was just sone 3" galvanized pipe.

My second attempt was a typical j type rocket used in a mass heater but it would only boil a small pot with the exhaust. The higher temps are in the combustion area.

My third attempt I used some 6" square tube made of 1/4" steel. I used a v shape to move the flames closer to the pan. Once I welded it up I fired it and it would boil a pot with a gallon of water but still not what I needed to utilize by 2 sq foot pan that my in laws made me for the top of my small wood stove.

Shaggy acres
01-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Then I changed the air intake to make this thing really rocket. Once I added the extra air intake it would boil a larger pot with two gallons of water no problem.

Once I did that I used an old two drawer file cabinet to mount it into. I placed a brick on the bottom of the cabinet and placed the rocket on top of it. That brought the top to the perfect height. I sealed it with some sheet metal and filled the whole box with perlite. I capped the perlite on top with some fire brick. That would boil a restaurant pan 3/4 full and shoot flames out the top of the riser and around the pan. Yehaaa!

Just a little more now. I built a shroud around the large pan I have and pushed the exhaust out the back and up some 6" flue pipe.

It will now give me a thriving rolling boil in the 2 sq ft pan with as much fluid as you want.

The best thing is it sips wood. Only the ends of the fuel burns and max is 6" wide so what used to require a full wood stove to operate now just the tips of the wood. It completely consumes every bit of fuel in the combustion chamber so no smoke or soot. Amazing! Still learning but I may try to expand the principals on a larger scale.

Next test burn I will get some pictures of it cranking!

Shaggy acres
01-13-2015, 08:14 PM
This used to take a wood stove packed with wood. Now it only burns a 6"x 6" area at any one time!

Now how can we adapt that to a 6' long pan, that is the question?

Sugarmaker
01-14-2015, 08:32 AM
"Now how can we adapt that to a 6' long pan, that is the question?"

Make it bigger and post pictures when done! Neat! are you getting good evaporation rates? Nice fabrication work too!
So you have a 2' x 5' flat pan with conventional wood fire under and the you have a 1' x 2' pan rocket arch too??
Regards,
Chris

ttowle3
01-14-2015, 05:26 PM
I was thinking of making a rocket stove for finishing off the syrup. I have a cattle waterer that I was going to use as it has a stainless steel pan on top about 22x18 inch and 8 inch deep. it tips up nice and I can put a 7 inch insulated stove pipe inside it. Thoughts?
I might get a tap welded into it for easier pouring too.

Shaggy acres
01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
"Now how can we adapt that to a 6' long pan, that is the question?"

Make it bigger and post pictures when done! Neat! are you getting good evaporation rates? Nice fabrication work too!
So you have a 2' x 5' flat pan with conventional wood fire under and the you have a 1' x 2' pan rocket arch too??
Regards,
Chris

Yes, the large flat pan is new this year and I am using a basic home made arch for that. As ttowie3 was speculating about, I am planning on using the rocket for finishing. The air and fuel inputs can be choked off easily to control the heat. We will see if that plan works out.

Shaggy acres
01-14-2015, 06:32 PM
I was thinking of making a rocket stove for finishing off the syrup. I have a cattle waterer that I was going to use as it has a stainless steel pan on top about 22x18 inch and 8 inch deep. it tips up nice and I can put a 7 inch insulated stove pipe inside it. Thoughts?
I might get a tap welded into it for easier pouring too.

That looks to be about the size of the restaurant steam pan I used for my testing. 7" pipe should get that rocking if your fuel is at the base of the riser.