PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Season Warm Up

Hop Kiln Road
01-11-2015, 06:25 AM
I think a discussion is in order of "The Sugar Season" by Douglas Whynott. This is the book about Bruce Bascom and the current (2012) state of the maple industry. Everyone tapping maple trees should read this book, especially if you are selling bulk syrup. Let me wet your appetite. Bascom, with 68,500 taps (2012), produced less than 3% of his annual sales. His sales are somewhere far north of $50 million, annually. Okay? Oh and his evaporator produces about 3 gallons a minute. And it gets better, he is only scratching the surface of the market.

unc23win
01-11-2015, 07:41 AM
I think a discussion is in order of "The Sugar Season" by Douglas Whynott. This is the book about Bruce Bascom and the current (2012) state of the maple industry. Everyone tapping maple trees should read this book, especially if you are selling bulk syrup. Let me wet your appetite. Bascom, with 68,500 taps (2012), produced less than 3% of his annual sales. His sales are somewhere far north of $50 million, annually. Okay? Oh and his evaporator produces about 3 gallons a minute. And it gets better, he is only scratching the surface of the market.

I think that sounds about right the consumption of syrup per person annually in the US is pretty low and world wide is almost non existent. Maple Syrup is #3 in CNNs top 10 trending list for 2015 (mainly because Americans are finding more uses). Anyhow thanks for the share now to Amazon to see about the book.

optionguru
01-11-2015, 08:09 AM
I just finished the book. I really enjoyed it. Being a small business owner and a stockbroker I really appreciated reading about the business side of things along with all of the history and comparisons between regions.

maple flats
01-11-2015, 05:30 PM
I bought the book at the Jan. conf. at VVS in Verona. So far I've read about 1/4. Very interesting thus far.