PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and Volgalsang wood burner

Troy D
01-08-2015, 05:56 PM
I am REALLY new to this and have gotten some much needed help from some co workers. I have this http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/200x200/173/173896_200x200.jpg Should I get a 2 by 2 pan and have at it or will it be a waste of time. Instead Build a block arch and run with that. I plan on boiling off 100 gallons of sap TOTAL Thanks for any help.

psparr
01-08-2015, 06:34 PM
If you could modify it to be open on top it would be fine. But like everyone else will tell you. You will expand someday. Heck maybe even mid season! A 2'wide block arch can be lengthened to accommodate that expansion. The stove probably not. Good luck!

Ausable
01-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Troy D - Hi and welcome to Maple Trader. What You have pictured is a Log Stove - I have one myself. Ok to heat a small space and in a pinch You could cook on the top. I wouldn't use it to boil sap on myself - because I would not be able to get the fire or combustion I want. Could You make Maple Syrup on it - sure - anything that will boil water will make maple syrup. But - It will take a long time to get 'er done. 100 gallons of Maple Sap at about 2 1/2 to 3% sugar content will give You about 2 1/2 gallons of good Maple Syrup. Yep! Block Arch with the pan You mention is a good start. You would be doing - what we call Batch Boiling. I learned this the hard way - Invest in a Maple Syrup Hydrometer and buy or make a test cup to go with it. When You test for syrup - slowly lower the hydrometer into the test cup of near syrup to check the density. Never drop - cause they are made of glass and will break on the bottom of the cup if the syrup is to thin to float the hydrometer. Hey! Good Luck - Have Fun and Keep Asking Questions.

I am REALLY new to this and have gotten some much needed help from some co workers. I have this http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/200x200/173/173896_200x200.jpg Should I get a 2 by 2 pan and have at it or will it be a waste of time. Instead Build a block arch and run with that. I plan on boiling off 100 gallons of sap TOTAL Thanks for any help.

Troy D
01-09-2015, 06:17 AM
thanks for the quick replies, I will see what I can come up with and keep ya posted.

RC Maple
01-09-2015, 07:27 AM
You mentioned a Vogelzang stove - this is the unit I bought at the equipment auction at Ray Gingerich's place. It's just a barrel stove kit with the top cut out and a pan placed in the opening. It come with an insulation blanket and a grate in the bottom. I used it like this for the first year and then had a local metal shop make it a foot longer and widen the top so I could put a 2x3 pan on it. Make 6 gal on it my first year. I don't know who makes those though. There were two of them there and I say on the next year as well. For what you want to do it would work great and not cost too much although I don't know what they would retail for. Does anyone here know who makes the small evaporators like this?

rayi
01-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I boiled on one of those for years. Just cut out the side of the barrel so the pan set inside. It's not a good set up The sides leak hot air and then the majority of the side of the pan is in the cold. To prevent burning the pan you need to remove it from the heat, which is not an easy task. And the nice think is they last about two years. Use the blocks and then you can stack smaller bricks around the pan to prevent the wind from hitting the pan. By the way I love my 2 by 6 drop flu. I can see it in your future

Troy D
01-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Just for fun I put a flue on the wood stove took the thing on top off to boil some water on it. When I put a fan in front of the stove and let the air blow under the door I had flames shooting out the 7 feet of stack and it actually looked like a torch. LOL My son thought it would be a good weapon if we could "put an angle off the pipe and shoot the flame at zombies" LOL I might be able to get my hands on some block for free so I may still build the block arch. Thanks again for all the great info on the site.