PDA

View Full Version : Stack cap?

billyinvt
01-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Wondering how many pull the stack at the end of the season and what sort of cap might keep me from adding that to the list of end of season chores. Can I safely assume that the sorts of caps people put on wood stove pipes would restrict draft? What about a simple galvanized "shanty cap?"

maple flats
01-06-2015, 06:14 PM
I have had both types common stack caps, the one often called a Chinaman's hat, and the one that is operated from below, by a rope or light weight steel cable to open and close. In use I never detected and restriction with the Chinaman's hat type, but in the off season it does let in rain when hard driven by wind. The open/close type does not leak when closed. I far prefer the open/close type, mine has light wt. SS cables from below, I just pull one side to open and the other side to close the top.

unc23win
01-06-2015, 06:32 PM
I would agree with Maple Flats the flapper that can be opened and closed with a rope is really nice. I open mine when I fire and I close it when I shut down and leave it closed in the off season. There is a thread on here from last year I think where a guy made one.