PDA

View Full Version : condensate drain

backyardsugarer
01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Anyone have pictures of how they drain the hot water off the back of their hood? I would love to do that for hot water and to stop the water from dripping around the stack.

Chris

Fred Henderson
01-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Are you referring to a condensate pan under a prehearter? Does your hood have a lip around the inside piped to a drain?

backyardsugarer
01-20-2007, 03:41 PM
My hood has a lip that allows some of steam to condense and run down the hood. I get a solid drip off tbe back corners of my hood. I guess I could make a copper funnel and have it collect and run down hill to a reservoir.

Chris

Fred Henderson
01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Is the drip coming from that condensate lip?

maple flats
01-21-2007, 05:51 PM
On my old rig I collected condensate from a trougth like you mention but never did get a perfect seal. My idea was to saw some copper in half with a tee outlet but I sold that rig and haven't gotten that far yet on my new one. I was planning to make a 1" copper rectangle with a tee at 1 corner for an outlet and then saw it right down the middle creating 1 to use and a ready spare. This would then set on the flue pan and the hood would set on top of it or I likely would have attached it to the hood somehow so they would stay together if I needed to raise the hood for any reason. My hood was made from aluminum flashing (roofing flashing) and it was too flimsey to hold any sealant where the corners met.

backyardsugarer
01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes, the drip is coming from the condensate lip.

Fred Henderson
01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
You can probably buy a small alu funnel for a buck and fab something from there to the floor.

White Barn Farm
01-23-2007, 06:27 PM
On my preheater I drlled a 1/2" hole close to the bottom of the lip of my hood, put in a 1/2" copper male adapter with a rubber o ring on the inside and used a 1/2 Romex connector nut to make the seal. I put a piece of copper pipe on the adapter and ran it down to a bucket.It worked great.