PDA

View Full Version : 17 years old And I need some advice

Chris-tragakes
01-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Ok so I am 17 years old, and I did some sugaring last year, made about 2 gallons of syrup had about 8-10 trees and I was not super good about collecting as I did not have my drivers liscence. But after last yer I am hooked on making maple syrup, Also after last year I got 2 of my friends interested and this year there are 3 of us even though I am the one dishing out the money for all the supplies that will be making syrup. We have about 30-40 trees this year to tap, so probably around 50-60 taps. But I am in the process of building the evaportator plan on doing the 55 gallon drum as the fire box, but now I am stuck with the pan, I know I need a 2x3 pan, but I am trying to find where to buy? Flat or Continuous flow? Used or New? I am located on the shoreline in CT. Again I am only 17 not looking to spend thousands of dollars, already have a list of $200-$300 of equipment(taps, filters, lines, Ts, etc...) to buy from Bascoms. So I just need help with a pan and any other advice anybody can give me. Thank you.

maple flats
01-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Try Bascoms to see if they have any used flat pans. While one with partitions is best for creating a continuous flow, one without will boil just as fast. 50-60 taps is likely at or even slightly above the suggested # of taps on a 2x3, but just boil as much as you can. When the sap runs hard you may need to either sell or dump sap, but on slower days and weeks you will be fine. If you find someone to sell sap to, it must be fresh, if you end up dumping sap, dump the oldest and boil the fresher sap.
Choices for used pans are Bascom ( www.bascommaple.com ), the classified on here, then just search it on google, Ebay etc.

morningstarfarm
01-05-2015, 05:31 PM
First question...are you looking for a channel pan or a batch pan? If batch, and if you are not looking to sell it then I would find a local welding shop and have one made from regular steel...good luck

handtapper
01-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Consider you and your friends shoveling snow etc to each come up with 275$ and buy a used already bricked half pint of craigslist. There's a nice looking Grimm and a few half pints within driving distance of you. By the time you mess around fabricating something and spend 400$ you will be in it more than resale value is worth. You can use the half pint for a few years and then sell it for what you paid for it. Your definetaly a candidate for wanting to upgrade in the next few years. Three 17+ year olds can carry alot of buckets. Alternative in my mind would be buying a used pan on craigslist. That can be had for 200$.

Moser's Maple
01-05-2015, 08:18 PM
maybe you would want to check this thread out???

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?18050-Siphoning-between-pans

DavyJones
01-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Chris, I went to a local steel fabrication shop and told them what I wanted and they made it for me from scratch. I think at the time I paid about $300 for a 2'x3' pan made from stainless. I got fittings from this place http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/index.aspx and took them to the shop and they welded them on when they made my pan. My pan has lasted for years and I suspect it will last for many many more years too.

Upborthf7
02-19-2016, 05:49 AM
chris, I know this is an old post, but this season in coming. if you haven't already decided on the pans, I say make the syrup which ever way is possible. Iv boiled sap in throw away aluminum foil pans before. If you are lucky enough to continue making syrup forever, you will also continue to upgrade and expand. if you can get the mild steel pans made, use them and care for them as others have stated and enjoy the hobby. when the time comes that you want to expand, you can hang it on the wall in your sugar shack and it will give you something to tell stories about in the future. good luck and enjoy!

barnbc76
02-20-2016, 02:31 PM
This thread address alot of the questions i have had for what i will do in the future, great ideas.. i only assumed it would take close to a $1000 to get a bigger production. Thanks

Shirlsaw63
02-22-2016, 02:27 PM
I use a 55 gallon drum as the fire box. I actually just bought a steam table pan with handles. Worked fine for me last year, using it again this year. This is the one I bought:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KYS72G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

So it is not a 2x3 pan but I boiled down 60 gallons of sap that way last year.

saphound
02-24-2016, 02:26 PM
I use a 55 gallon drum as the fire box. I actually just bought a steam table pan with handles. Worked fine for me last year, using it again this year. This is the one I bought:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KYS72G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

So it is not a 2x3 pan but I boiled down 60 gallons of sap that way last year.

I like the handles, but not the 4" depth or the 75.00 price tag. You can get three 6" deep full size pans for that price. Wouldn't be hard to add that type handles to them too if you wanted.
http://www.amazon.com/Winco-SPF6-6-Inch-Pan-Full/dp/B001VZ6XP4