PDA

View Full Version : I am 17yrs old and need some advice and help!!!!

Chris-tragakes
01-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Ok so I am 17 years old, and I did some sugaring last year, made about 2 gallons of syrup had about 8-10 trees and I was not super good about collecting as I did not have my drivers liscence. But after last yer I am hooked on making maple syrup, Also after last year I got 2 of my friends interested and this year there are 3 of us even though I am the one dishing out the money for all the supplies that will be making syrup. We have about 30-40 trees this year to tap, so probably around 50-60 taps. But I am in the process of building the evaportator plan on doing the 55 gallon drum as the fire box, but now I am stuck with the pan, I know I need a 2x3 pan, but I am trying to find where to buy? Flat or Continuous flow? Used or New? I am located on the shoreline in CT. Again I am only 17 not looking to spend thousands of dollars, already have a list of $200-$300 of equipment(taps, filters, lines, Ts, etc...) to buy from Bascoms. So I just need help with a pan and any other advice anybody can give me. Thank you.

SeanD
01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Ok so I am 17 years old, and I did some sugaring last year, made about 2 gallons of syrup had about 8-10 trees and I was not super good about collecting as I did not have my drivers liscence. But after last yer I am hooked on making maple syrup, Also after last year I got 2 of my friends interested and this year there are 3 of us even though I am the one dishing out the money for all the supplies that will be making syrup. We have about 30-40 trees this year to tap, so probably around 50-60 taps. But I am in the process of building the evaportator plan on doing the 55 gallon drum as the fire box, but now I am stuck with the pan, I know I need a 2x3 pan, but I am trying to find where to buy? Flat or Continuous flow? Used or New? I am located on the shoreline in CT. Again I am only 17 not looking to spend thousands of dollars, already have a list of $200-$300 of equipment(taps, filters, lines, Ts, etc...) to buy from Bascoms. So I just need help with a pan and any other advice anybody can give me. Thank you.

I have a few 2x3 flat pans and I'm upgrading again, so I'm ready to sell. Two I'd like to sell as a pair because I have it all set up with s.s. valves and fittings, so it's ready to go for someone ready to make the jump to a 2x6. The other pan that I think will be up your alley is my first pan. It is a s.s. welded flat pan with four channels/three dividers. I made my next set of 2x6 pans before I finished this one, so I didn't finish welding on the couplings to put a valve on it. It's ready to boil now if you are doing batches, but if you want a continuous flow, it just needs a coupling and valve.

If you are interested, send me a p.m.

Sean

treeguy
01-11-2015, 09:23 PM
My dad and brother live in Westbrook :-)

You might get a metal shop to just weld you a pan out off SS to fit your fire box rather then get one from a supplier..were you are im sure you can get that done.

I would say boil down the sap in a flat pan and finish in a pot on gas..maybe get a handle on the pan. A valve is best but not needed really

maple maniac65
01-12-2015, 06:10 AM

As far as lateral line and tees with drops and taps. I have some slightly used but clean I can send you. No cost to you I will pack them in a USPS box and send them. I am upgrading a small orchard and the pipeline is still good and clean. I have one local sugarmaker taking some it now. I no longer use filters but I maybe even able to find a thermometer for you if you need it.Send an addresss if you think this might help.

Sugarmaker
01-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Good luck young man! Your going to do just fine and just do within your means. You have many seasons ahead of you!
Those words don't help you get a pan but you will find one.
Regards,
Chris

lew
01-14-2015, 09:34 PM
STOP!!! Before it's too late. You'll never be able stop once you've been bitten. Once bitten it's a life worrying and spending. then dreaming about next year. Then worrying and spending. And thinking of nothing else but shiny stainless steel, and more trees, and more production, and higher efficiency, a bigger sap truck, more sap trucks, more trees, etc. It never ends. I'd go on but it's time to go to bed and dream of shiny stainless things.

Bentley Wood Maple
01-18-2015, 10:51 AM
My suggestion, find a local sugarhouse that you can help/ learn in. I wish I had done this instead of learning alot of things the hard way (read expensive way) I admire your initiative but would like too see you avoid some of the mistakes I have made.
good luck whichever direction you choose to go.

morningstarfarm
01-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Send me your list...I have plenty of beginning stuff just taking up space...if I can help I will...good luck

steam maker
01-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah whats on list maybe theres something i got kicking around also

BranchHillMaple
01-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Im relatively new to sugaring also, and its a terrible thing you get hooked on it and everything to do with sugaring costs money. Id start small dont get in over your head with a million taps and new pans search craigslist high and low you can sometimes find a good deal on used stuff on there, I found a used divided syrup pan on there for 100$ yeah it needed some work but worked great to see if i would enjoy sugaring. Basically dont worry about spending huge dollars your first few years slowly grow your taps and evaporator setup. Also if you know of any local guys that have been sugaring for a while go and pick there brains watch there operation, most people will be very willing to help a new guy out and give you advice. Also if your looking for a divided pan ive got one im looking to sell cheap but i also dont know if you will fit your operation send me a message if interested.