PDA

View Full Version : $60 per tap revenue

SDdave
01-04-2015, 08:12 PM
This probably has circled the forum's a few times by now, but the wife just saw this in one of her magazines.

www.RentMotherNature.com Where you can rent a tap $59.95 + S/H, or a tree $69.95 + S/H. That is truly one way to increase revenue beyond basic syrup sales.

Now why didn't I think of that?

SDdave

SeanD
01-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Did you see the "Action Photo" of the maple tree? Too funny. I want to spend the $5 just as a tip o' the cap to them. Hey, if they were smart enough to literally plant a money tree in their back yard, then power to them.

Seriously, though it's not too far off of the concept of a CSA. It's a way people who are disconnected from the land can increase the value of open space. Too often when we see a beautiful grove with the potential for taps, others see a great place for a 200 lot subdivision or a Walmart.

Sean

Bucket Head
01-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Very true. Sad, but true. Seen on a bumper sticker: "Suburbia- Its where they cut all the trees down and name the streets after them".

Steve

Lazarus
01-08-2015, 09:44 PM
It may be true but there are things you can do about it. Of course it means giving up something yourself.

You can place all of your land into a conservation easement to lock it up in perpetuity, long after your death. It's like a driveway easement, only instead of a narrow strip, you are providing the easement across your entire land. The dominant estate (i.e. the beneficiary) is typically a government land trust, and you can specify what's allowable and not. For example, tapping of trees is Ok, but logging for timber is not, nor is building McMansions. You don't lose the right to use your land, but you must also abide by the restrictions you set forth, in case you lose your mind when you are 80 and decide heck yeah I'll sell off some acreage to a developer and buy a new TV. You can sell your land but just like a driveway easement, the restrictions stay in force to any and all future owners. And the trust checks just about every year to ensure it's being followed. They absolutely will (and have) sue an owner blind if it is violated. You might also get a tax deduction for the loss of value that is incurred by the restrictions (if they extend the tax credits).

We recently acquired 30 acres of absolutely prime potential development land in one of the hottest growing areas in greater Cincinnati. I realize that's not very big to a lot of people, but this close to major city sprawl it was worth about 10 times less just 20 years ago. And the price would never have been possible for us at market rates but we managed to sell a compelling vision to the seller, and now we've got some promises to keep. We're spending a freaking fortune this year to plant 11 acres with 6000 native trees and shrubs, 13 acres of native grasses and meadows, and restore an ancient pond and spillway. And it's all going into the conservancy as soon as we work through all the legal stuff. Nobody's building houses on this land, ever. Booya!

Cause even if you have kids, who knows what they'll do after you're gone? Or when they're 80? Or what their kids will do. Ever watch Pawn Stars? How many people are walking in there to hock Grandpa's treasured antique he gave them? I guess I'm kind of a control freak and that includes beyond the grave.

If you are interested in learning more, check out:

http://www.landtrustalliance.org/conservation/landowners/conservation-easements

If you really want a gift for many future generations, please consider something like this .....