PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in Tennessee

skidiver
01-03-2015, 11:15 AM
I started tapping New years day.The season starts early this far south.I will finish tapping Sunday January 4th.This morning I noticed that most of my gallon jugs were full of sap so Sunday will be a busy day.This is my forth season and I will be tapping 60 sugar maples with about 72 taps.;)skidiver

jmayerl
01-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Giv'er! I wish we could get going already. Temps here in northern wisco aren't going to get above zero til the end of the week. We have 10 weeks til tapping.

Ausable
01-03-2015, 12:00 PM
LOL - Best of Luck skidiver. I almost forgot about the Southern Season till I read this post. Finally looks like Winter again in my little part of Michigan. Started snowing this morning and have about 3 inches now. Most of December was bare ground - where last year we had abot 3 foot at this time. Like jmayerl - I have awhile to wait - before I can play.

I started tapping New years day.The season starts early this far south.I will finish tapping Sunday January 4th.This morning I noticed that most of my gallon jugs were full of sap so Sunday will be a busy day.This is my forth season and I will be tapping 60 sugar maples with about 72 taps.;)skidiver

BillinTennessee
01-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Skidiver. I am pleased to meet a fellow middle Tennessee Sugarman. I waited until january 15th to tap. I might have been better starting earlier. I moved from Joelton last year to McEwen. I have mostly Black Maple Trees as far as I can tell. I am tapping 14 trees this year. I use food grade 5 gallon buckets to collect sap. So far the syrup is excellent. Medium amber with a great taste. I am boiling today. I expect to boil about 80 to 100 gallons sap today and tomorrow.

Ken McGarry
03-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Good to hear from others in my neck of the woods. I've been sugaring in Lincoln County, Tenn. near the Coldwater community since '02. I started out with six taps and boiled in a canning pot set on cinder blocks the first two years. I bought a Half Pint evaporator from Leader in '04, which I still use. I tap sugar maples exclusively and usually put out 30-40 buckets per season. This has been an unusual season, mainly because of the prolonged freezing weather in February. Normally Feb. is our peak month, but here we are in mid-March, smack in the middle of the best sap run I've seen in years.

WI Sugarpop
03-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Good to hear from others in my neck of the woods. I've been sugaring in Lincoln County, Tenn. near the Coldwater community since '02. I started out with six taps and boiled in a canning pot set on cinder blocks the first two years. I bought a Half Pint evaporator from Leader in '04, which I still use. I tap sugar maples exclusively and usually put out 30-40 buckets per season. This has been an unusual season, mainly because of the prolonged freezing weather in February. Normally Feb. is our peak month, but here we are in mid-March, smack in the middle of the best sap run I've seen in years.

When I look at your pic, it looks like all your sap will run out of your buckets.:cry::lol: Maybe tubing would work better.

Ken McGarry
03-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Yeah, not sure how the photo ended up upside down, couldn't figure out how to right it or even to delete it and try again. Technology strikes again! All is well, though, am in the process of boiling down about 150 gallons of sap at the moment.