PDA

View Full Version : using butter on pan while boiling sap

jamesd14
12-31-2014, 06:34 PM
I heard that while boiling down sap if it boils over you can put butter or margarine on the pan to bring it down, will that hurt or give the maple an off flavor.

Ski Bum
12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Best thing to do is to read ----North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual--- This is the " Bible " for us new-bies--. It is best to use a non dairy defomer. Contact your local syrup dealer for more help. I have had great success with Norman's Sugar House in Woodstock, Ct. 860-974-1235 Good luck -- You may also contact the Maple Syrup Producers of Conn. --Ski Bum

jamesd14
12-31-2014, 07:24 PM
That is good info, I will look them up. So the key is non dairy, first I beard of that. Thank you very much.

James

Ausable
12-31-2014, 07:34 PM
I heard that while boiling down sap if it boils over you can put butter or margarine on the pan to bring it down, will that hurt or give the maple an off flavor.

Hi Jamesd14 - When reducing sap to syrup you have a very hot fire and there are times when it will foam up rather quickly. I have used butter and olive oil in the past as it take very little to knock down the foaming. For the last several years - I have used a commercial product called Atmos and it works great if kept warm and in a liquid state. I have never picked up on any off flavor in the maple syrup. Old Timers would use bacon to prevent foaming - now bacon flavored maple syrup sounds good to me. lol I wouldn't worry about it - I have been making maple syrup for about 20 years and has never been an issue as a hobby producer.

jamesd14
12-31-2014, 07:59 PM
That's makes me feel better, thank you very much.

wiam
12-31-2014, 08:14 PM
The reason for non dairy is allergies. If selling syrup this is a concern. If it is for your own use and no one in your family is affected by dairy, the butter is fine.