PDA

View Full Version : Building RO

K&GMapleProducts
12-31-2014, 07:17 AM
Hey guys, I have been lurking on Mapletrader for years now and have learned so much from the discussions.
I need to build an ro for the upcoming season. The unit will be a 3 x 4-40. I have access to a 3 membrane vessel and was wondering if I will get the same performance from this as 3 individual vessels. I plan to use a 11 gpm multistage pump rated for 360 psi, a shallow well feed pump, and recirculate in the same fashion as Ray Gingrich.
Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

BreezyHill
12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
Last year I had a great discussion with a DOW engineer about the XLE membrane, my sugar passage issue was to much flow across the membrane...they are designed for 16 gpm he said. My pump was kicking out 35 gpm. So I had to open up the system to let more flow past the membrane. I not sure if your pump will be large enough to supply product to 3 membranes in parallel. The up side is as one plugs the next will take the flow over.

Send me a pm of the vessel. I am looking to setup two more single vessels in series to parallel the current two vessels to split the flow.

Ben

wiam
12-31-2014, 08:28 PM
If it is a 3 membrane vessel it would be in series. That would not remove permeate as fast as 3 in parallel but could go to higher % in one pass.

PATheron
01-01-2015, 06:04 AM
KG- I have an older machine that I put a codeline vessel on that has two membranes in series in it and it seems to work great. If you can get the vessel for a great deal might want to try it if your not going to be out much. Make sure you have a real good filtering system so that you don't foul it up and might work pretty good. Mine doesn't seem to have any decreased performance that way. Theron

K&GMapleProducts
01-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to give input, I think I might keep it simple and run three vessels. After talking to Joe a Atlanticro (great find thanks to mapletrader) it seems this will give me more versatility and probably save money. Although i'm going in a different direction design wise I would still like to learn more about what the results might be parallel verses series. With 4'' membranes series do you only process 125 gph raw to higher concentrate or are there other factors?
With the multiple membrane vessels can you simply reverse the flow direction through the vessel to help prevent higher concentrate always passing over the same membrane?
Thanks again, Cheyne (shane)