PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Rules of Thumb

SeanD
12-29-2014, 01:19 PM
I apologize. I know info like this has already come up, but I couldn't find it in a search. I'm planning a new 5/16" gravity tubing set up in a new sugarbush.

-What's a minimum number of taps you look for from a roll of tubing?

-Is there a break point distance where you say that's too far to go to pick up x number of taps? There are three beautiful, huge trees in a line, on a slope, out in the open. The last one is 100' from the mainline. Is that too far for 6 taps?

-What's the minimum distance the last tap can be from the barrel?

I know once the roll of tubing is on my arm, I'll go for everything within sight, so some level-headed planning now might be a good idea.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

BreezyHill
12-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Sean, It really depends on what you are looking for: saving time and energy instead of running buckets or is profit driving the design?

If you figure that a spout is .20, at y is .31, the drop will be .25, you already have $.76 in each tap now if you run 100' of tubing you have another $10 of tubing. So for 6 taps it is going to cost you $14.56 plus the tubing between these trees so lets say another 30' at $3 for a total of 17.56...$18. So if you figure the system is good for at least 10 years with washing the tubing annually you only have $1.80 per season in the tubing.

On an average season you should be able to make around 1 quart per tap so that is 1.5 gallons of syrup for you $1.80 investment per season.

Last tap to the barrel does not matter...hard to get much closer than a few inches.:lol:

Gravity is different than high vacuum. With vac you desire to get max vac at each tap...so you have to not go as far and have fewer taps on each line. So this is where some are only going 50-100' for their maximum run on a 5/16 line.

Don't get me wrong gravity is great for a lot of producers; those that use vac are just looking to get more production from their trees every season.

I don't see any reason that you cant use tubing to make harvesting sap easier and less labor intensive by reaching out 100' and even more.
if it takes you 10 minutes to gather 6 buckets you have paid for the tubing in the first two collections of every season for the 10 years I amortized the tubing over.

Happy Tapping!

Ben

maple flats
12-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Actually 100' is the old recommendation for spacing mains, thus it should be good. Most of the producers are gradually reducing that for better vacuum to the tap. I try for 50-75', but I do have a few about 100'.

SeanD
12-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Time and energy are always the driving force with a day job and three kids, so your advice is well taken.

As for the question about the last tap, in gravity runs, the weight of the sap coming down can work against the last tap(s). I'll do some more searching here, but I know I should leave a straight final run to the barrel, but I can't remember how far back is recommended.

Sean

syrup2nv
12-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Currently setting up a new sugarwoods. We are spacing mains at 55-65' and trying to average around 3 taps per lateral line.

ryebrye
01-02-2015, 06:28 PM
If you have time before you run the tubing, you may want to use flagging tape to mark the maple trees to make it easy see where you want to run the lines.

I Luv Stainless
01-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Rules of thumb?

1. Straight, tight and downhill! Especially if you are on gravity!

2. When working in the woods, you will use you time most efficiently if you do 1 job at a time, ie, flag mainlines, clear brush, cut trees, run all mainline wire, side tension mainline wires, pull mainlines, wire tie mainlines, etc.

3. The IDEAL number of taps per lateral has and will change. It has changed 3 times in the 15 years since I began with tubing: First it was 12 taps=natural vacuum then 5-6 taps (better to transport high vacuum to each tap) now trending back up (12) for more natural vacuum (even for those on high vacuum). Just use common sense, keep asking questions and roll with the changes.

Good luck and have fun!