PDA

View Full Version : tapping tree that never had the taps pulled last year?

whitetail farms
12-28-2014, 01:19 PM
theres a guy down the road who has 1200 of the best running trees with good sugar content that I noticed today still had the taps in them...do you think it would be okay to approach they guy about tapping them this year? he is an older guy who tapped last year but didnt boil any sap and never pulled hi taps he has the 1/4 inch health spouts in, would the tree be safe to tap if I pulled the taps soon and tapped them again in march??thanks for your help, Nick

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-28-2014, 01:34 PM
They would be fine to tap. The holes will not be closed like normal but tapping again will not hurt them. Some big guys only pull spouts as they tap again the next spring.

maple flats
12-28-2014, 01:36 PM
They wold still be good to tap. Likely the holes have grown shut already, but just in case you might just want to leave the plastic taps in place rather that tear some of the new growth. They will not run and the plastic won't hurt them nor a chainsaw or sawmill in the future.
Go ahead and see about leasing them, maybe his health got so he can no longer do them. He may also have some equipment to sell.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
12-28-2014, 01:51 PM
my thoughts too. If from last year pull them and tap them again with no problems. like Thompson said the big guys leave some in. Good luck.